News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Mablethorpe Station in Lincolnshire.

Started by cypherus, November 05, 2017, 05:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cypherus

Recently was approached by a friend who for many years has held an interest in the former Lincolnshire railway that ran through Louth and onto Sleaford etc, now long since closed and mostly built over at least in the Louth area. His request was for a track plan conforming to the original as far as possible of Mablethorpe Station area and as he put it with 22 feet of wall space was not a problem,

He's now gone off to print out both versions full size and make his choice of build, it's not an exact verbatim copy, we made some changes to the north end point work to facilitate better working, seemed logical against the restrictions placed on movements by the original track plan so I await his final verdict in a few days.

This morning however I was trawling along Facebook as you do some days and came across an air photograph of Boston Station looking South, again in Lincolnshire, sadly by the time I had moved to my desktop computer for some reason it had vanished but it made me consider posting the pair of iterations of Mablethorpe here for anyone to make use of.

A little back ground on the line, Built by the Great Northern Railway it runs, or rather ran as a single line loop from a junction north of Willoughby Station on the former Sleaford to Louth section of main line off towards the coast and down through Sandilands were it turned parallel to the coastline and entered Mablethorpe Station, a twin platform affair with two bay platforms and serving the towns holiday industry in the summer months and farm produce year around, originally there was a single road engine shed, Goods shed, Cattle pens  plus turntable and two long stabling sidings, from here the line regained single track status and proceeded northwards for a couple of miles  before turning sharply inland and eventually rejoining the Louth main line just South of Stewton lane.

Study the timetables of the era and you will find that this little corner of Lincolnshire was at the time quiet a busy place leaving a lot of scope for modellers up to the later days of steam and early diesel operations, Sadly dear Doctor Beeching put paid to any thoughts they may have had of a future sentenced as they currently are to what can only be described as a medieval road network Mablethorpe struggles on.

Anyway  plans attached and have fun with them.