News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Version 6.11

Started by David, November 06, 2017, 08:27:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

David

Hi all!

In this version, we have a few new functions that might appeal to you:

- Loop finder. This function finds return loops that might cause shorts if you're using 2-rail track systems. You can switch it on by ticking the relevant check box on the SHOW tab. Please note that it does not show all the loops. If there's one loop, there are usually many loops using all sorts of zig-zag routes. So if multiple loops go through one part, only the shortest loop  through this part is displayed. Also, the function does not care if track sections are isolated or not.

- Vertical clearance check. Again, in the SHOW tab, tick the relevant check box. In all places where tracks cross, you'll see a small circle with the vertical space between the rail tops at that point. It does not take into account the rail thickness, sleepers, railbed and possible bridge material. If you wish, on the SETTINGS tab, you can set a minimum vertical clearance that includes these values. If the clearance is too narrow, it will then be displayed in red.

- Elevate track. Much asked. This allows you to raise or sink the selected track with a specific amount.

- Freeze flex. Once frozen, the flex will loose its control points and can no longer be changed.

We've added a new track library: SM32 Mamod.

The Scalextric and HO Lima libraries have had a minimal update.

Bugfixes:
- Icon size was incorrect immediately following a language change on hi-DPI screens.
- JMRI export failed for dual gauge track (one track item with two gauges). Now it no longer crashes, but the output is not yet quite right in dual gauge situations.

Please enjoy!

David.

6.11.1 Solves an issue with clearances not showing up.
6.11.2 Solves an issue with 'frozen flex'.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Nick the Cabin Boy

Looks good so far - I haven't actually downloaded yet; the caravan park I am in has a wi-fi setup which is need of an upgrade (too many users doing too much!).

I have two further requests, one of which goes back a long way.

1.  If we have got to the point of freezing flex, how long before we can "create" a piece and save it?  In my case, I'm thinking I would like to mimic the curved portion of a turnout, to go in the last track of a ladder yard.  Or might that be a possible development, to break a turnout down into curved and straight and throw away the straight (so to speak)?

2.  Will the loop function be further developed to allow for isolations, ie only reporting loops that actually have a short?

Everything else looks great, especially for me the vertical clearance check.

Cheers,

Nick the Nomad
Elizabeth Grove, South Australia
Building Pottersbridge, a fictional town a little North of London, served by a fictional Heritage Railway, in N

The Track Planner

David,
Thought you should know... on my desktop machine (I7 7700K 8Gig Radeon RX580 Graphics Card w/1440 res monitor) the new vertical clearance feature does not display. But, on my laptop (Dell I7 6700HQ 16Gig Nvida GeForce GTX960M Graphics Card w/1080 res monitor) the feature works! Any ideas?

David

Have you ticked the correct check box in the SHOW tab for it?

The Track Planner

David,
For whatever reason is started working this evening. DUH! Not sure why it wasn't working before, anyway, very nice feature, thanks.

Sven

Quote from: David on November 06, 2017, 08:27:53 PM
- Vertical clearance check. Again, in the SHOW tab, tick the relevant check box. In all places where tracks cross, you'll see a small circle with the vertical space between the rail tops at that point. It does not take into account the rail thickness, sleepers, railbed and possible bridge material. If you wish, on the SETTINGS tab, you can set a minimum vertical clearance that includes these values. If the clearance is too narrow, it will then be displayed in red.

Hi David,
really great that you included the vertical clearance! That helps a lot in finding any parts of the track layout that are not (yet) correctly placed.
I like it that you can define also a threshold value which then turns the numbers red for quick identification of hot spots - thanks a lot. :)

I have a few issues though with this feature where I need you help:

• On part of the track layout, no vertical clearance circles at all are displayed - no matter how many layers I've activated or deactivated. It just does not show any circles although there are plenty of overlaps (e.g. a helix) - see screenshot attached.
  • Should vertical clerarance also show between two tracks marked as bridges? I have one occurance where is does not show - see the attached screenshot in the middle part.
  • When changing visiblity of layers, the vertical clearance does not seem to update. I need to disable and enable "Vertical clearance" again to update the circle display. Is this intended?
  • Which vertical clearance is shown if only some layers are visible? Do the circles show the clearance always to the next track *up*wards, no matter if it is currently visible?
  • How do you handle track sections where tracks are exactly on top of each other (e.g. in a helix)? Is there a (fixed) value like a minimum distance between any two "vertical clearance circles" to avoid an infinite number of circles? I could not find a rule on that - sometims there are many circles, sometimes there are none (see issue 1)
  • Is there a way that the red circles (the ones below the threshold) could be shown always on top to avoid they are buried below the non-critical ones?
Hope you can help. Thanks for all your efforts.

David

@Sven: Thanks for the feedback.

There was a bug preventing crossings from showing up. This should be fixed in 6.11.1.
Clearances are only shown if at least one of the crossing tracks is visible. Per pair of crossing tracks, only the smallest clearance is displayed.
The clearances are displayed in descending order, so the smallest on top.

I hope this answers your questions!

Sven

Quote from: David on November 14, 2017, 08:50:13 AM
@Sven: Thanks for the feedback.
Welcome.

QuoteThere was a bug preventing crossings from showing up. This should be fixed in 6.11.1.
Great, thanks for your quick reaction and fix. It now seems to find all the overlaps (haven't tested it much yet).
Also the refresh is better now - however, the issue remains that once I activate another layer, some (or all) 'new' vertical clearances do not show up initially. They *do* show up once I do a zoom in or out.

QuoteClearances are only shown if at least one of the crossing tracks is visible. Per pair of crossing tracks, only the smallest clearance is displayed.
For helixes where an entire section has exactly the same clearance, where is the clearance circle for this section shown?

QuoteThe clearances are displayed in descending order, so the smallest on top.
Great - that's very useful, Thanks.

David

Would you have an example plan where the clearances are not shown immediately when you make a layer visible/invisible? You can also send it to support@anyrail.com.

Sven

Quote from: David on November 17, 2017, 11:48:08 AM
Would you have an example plan where the clearances are not shown immediately when you make a layer visible/invisible? You can also send it to support@anyrail.com.
Done  :)
Thanks for your help.

Tom Springer

David, does the new Loop Finder support recognize that turntables are a source of "reverse loops"?
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)