News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

AnyRail crashed upon starting User Object download

Started by TrainzLuvr, November 18, 2017, 11:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainzLuvr

In another thread I said I never had AnyRail crash on me but I jinxed it - it crashed today.

I went to download the latest User Objects, and since I run Windows Firewall Control, AnyRail was initially blocked from accessing the internet. Bad thing, because I got a Windows popup to Close/Debug AnyRail. Luckily, I hit the Save button just before going to download, phew.

It seems that if an internet connection is not immediately available, or unresponsive, AnyRail will crash when trying to update objects. :o

EDIT: Running the latest AnyRail.
YouTube channel: Trainz Luvr

David

Hmm, we're trying to prevent that from happening explicitly in the code.

Does it happen consistently?

Also, it might be good to know that AnyRail makes back ups of your plan every 10 minutes. So, in case of a crash, you'll not loose that much.
To find the backups, go to FILE/Help/Autosave folder.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

TrainzLuvr

Yes, it happens consistently. I just tried by removing a rule for AnyRail from the firewall and poof, Close/Debug program popped up.

Didn't even know about the Autosave, thanks for the heads-up.

David

So it happens when you use the standard Windows firewall (Windows defender), and without any special rules AnyRail crashes on downloading the user objects?

TrainzLuvr

I use Windows Firewall Control which is a fancy GUI for the default Windows Firewall.

On a system without any user rules setup for AnyRail (always block by default), it will crash each time you go to download user objects.

Once you allow AnyRail, that rule is remembered and it can go out through the firewall, just the first time before you allow it would crash.

David

OK, we could reproduce it now when blocking outbound private connections. Apparently, not many people are that cautious, as we haven't had this complaint before!

Anyway, it'll be fixed in the next update. A warning will appear that the download failed.