News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

3D mode: Can't zoom in futher after some time

Started by Sven, November 19, 2017, 08:40:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sven

In 3d mode, I often use the "standard camera, mouse" mode to navigate. While I find the mouse handling for navigatiing pretty intuitive, "zooming in" using the mousewheel after some scrolling time reaches an end where I am unable to zoom in further. I then need to reset the view which takes me back to an outer position and try again. Is there some way to overcome this - sort of artificial - boundary?

David

The standard camera is a 'Maya' like camera. Maya is a CAD program for game designers.

This means you're rotating around a fixed pivot point when you use the mouse and the left button, and when you use the mouse wheel, you move along the line towards this point until you reach it. That's when the zoom stops.

To move the pivot point itself, you need to 'pan', using the right mouse button. So to zoom further, first rotate the scene 90 degrees using the mouse and the left button. Next, 'pan' using the mouse and the right button. Now rotate 90 degrees back, and your pivot point lies a bit further away.

Alternatively, you can use the other 'first person' camera. You can simply walk around using the arrow keys, and use the mouse to steer.

David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Sven

Quote from: David on November 19, 2017, 08:52:45 PM
The standard camera is a 'Maya' like camera. Maya is a CAD program for game designers.

This means you're rotating around a fixed pivot point when you use the mouse and the left button, and when you use the mouse wheel, you move along the line towards this point until you reach it. That's when the zoom stops.

To move the pivot point itself, you need to 'pan', using the right mouse button. So to zoom further, first rotate the scene 90 degrees using the mouse and the left button. Next, 'pan' using the mouse and the right button. Now rotate 90 degrees back, and your pivot point lies a bit further away.
Thanks, David, for the explanation. I will try that. Sounds feasible.

QuoteAlternatively, you can use the other 'first person' camera. You can simply walk around using the arrow keys, and use the mouse to steer.
Yeah, already used that e.g. for a pseudo train-ride through the track plan :-)