News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

My first creation. Need some advice.

Started by cman82, November 28, 2017, 12:53:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cman82

This is my first creation. I'm a beginner and want to keep it simple. I'm going for a European look.
Trying to figure out what I should try and do.
The L part of the table will have a big mountain on it. I've got a yard and a place for a station with two tracks.

chaz

We usually start by learning about you and your goals...and then we can offer options and examples. So, can you provide a narrative for us.

What would make you smile when you walk in the room and when you operate your trains?

How does your layout make money?

Is this your first layout?

MP 525.25 on the Prosser Subdivision of the North Kansas Division of the MOPAC Railroad.

cman82

I'm going for a Switzerland/central European look. I want to keep it simple. I'm more about creating something nice. I want it to be more passenger.

Yes this is my first layout.

chaz

Kato track lends itself to layouts that look "boxy". It's not bad, but it's more interesting to see a little movement. Consider adding some gentle 15 degree curves to the long straight runs with some 20150, 71.8cm, 15 degree curves. A more advanced technique is to rotate the layout 7.5 degrees. It causes all the tracks to move toward and away from the edges of the layout.

Passenger wagons are often quite long and may not like your 24.9cm radius curves. I don't use any radius less than 28.2cm. If you have to use the 24.9cm curves, then place a 15 degree, 31.5cm curve at the entrance and the exit.

Avoid curves that reverse direction quickly.

MP 525.25 on the Prosser Subdivision of the North Kansas Division of the MOPAC Railroad.

cman82

Quote from: chaz on November 29, 2017, 08:09:29 PM
Kato track lends itself to layouts that look "boxy". It's not bad, but it's more interesting to see a little movement. Consider adding some gentle 15 degree curves to the long straight runs with some 20150, 71.8cm, 15 degree curves. A more advanced technique is to rotate the layout 7.5 degrees. It causes all the tracks to move toward and away from the edges of the layout.

Passenger wagons are often quite long and may not like your 24.9cm radius curves. I don't use any radius less than 28.2cm. If you have to use the 24.9cm curves, then place a 15 degree, 31.5cm curve at the entrance and the exit.

Avoid curves that reverse direction quickly.

Thanks for the advice. I changed it and attached it to this post. What else can I do? I'm a beginner. How do my sidings look? I was thinking about adding some signals but not sure how all that stuff works with the wiring same with dcc.

chaz

Don't worry about being new...we all started out in the same place. This forum has a lot of people who are happy to help. As for the starting point, you've already done that by learning AnyRail.

chaz

Wow, I can't keep up with you. You went a little overboard on the 71.8cm curves. Remember, we don't want the curves to change direction quickly.

Yards are often hands on. A little extra space between the tracks is always appreciated, as is having the yard on the outside (closer to the hand).

Scenery is not my specialty, however, I know the good stuff when I see it.

poppy2201

Quote from: chaz on November 29, 2017, 08:59:30 PM
Wow, I can't keep up with you. You went a little overboard on the 71.8cm curves. Remember, we don't want the curves to change direction quickly.

Yards are often hands on. A little extra space between the tracks is always appreciated, as is having the yard on the outside (closer to the hand).

Scenery is not my specialty, however, I know the good stuff when I see it.

I'm no expert on some design aspects but I agree with Chaz regarding the curves.  Also you have plenty of  room at the bottom for a decent size siding; take advantage of that.  Maybe something like what is attached and start tweaking that.  Just another suggestion.
Charles J.

cman82

poppy2201

On second thought the siding at the bottom might be a bit of stretch to reach the turnouts.  I'm not sure how this  layout will fit in your space (a drawing of the room would be nice).  If you could add another 15.2 cm width at the top and bottom right module you could use slightly larger radii and avoid those 24.9 cm radii which are pretty tight curves.
Charles J.

cman82

Quote from: poppy2201 on November 30, 2017, 05:51:12 PM
On second thought the siding at the bottom might be a bit of stretch to reach the turnouts.  I'm not sure how this  layout will fit in your space (a drawing of the room would be nice).  If you could add another 15.2 cm width at the top and bottom right module you could use slightly larger radii and avoid those 24.9 cm radii which are pretty tight curves.

This is currently what i'm working with. These are 3 Ikea desks made into one.

poppy2201

Quote from: cb11082 on November 30, 2017, 08:18:11 PM

Okay, got you.  That siding I mentioned may work out.  I would try it and see if it works; if not, you can always change it.  How high are those tables?

Regards,
Charles
Charles J.

cman82

Quote from: poppy2201 on November 30, 2017, 09:21:38 PM

Okay, got you.  That siding I mentioned may work out.  I would try it and see if it works; if not, you can always change it.  How high are those tables?

Regards,
Charles

a couple feet, basically just like a computer desk.

poppy2201

Quote from: cb11082 on November 30, 2017, 09:56:03 PM

Regards,
Charles

After I had posted I checked the Ikea website and figured out they were about 74cm.  I wish there was an Ikea store near me that I could browse some items in person.  I miss the clean, European look.  Good luck as you progress with the track.

Regards,
Charles
Charles J.

cman82

Quote from: poppy2201 on November 30, 2017, 10:20:51 PM
Quote from: cb11082 on November 30, 2017, 09:56:03 PM

Regards,
Charles

After I had posted I checked the Ikea website and figured out they were about 74cm.  I wish there was an Ikea store near me that I could browse some items in person.  I miss the clean, European look.  Good luck as you progress with the track.

Regards,
Charles

They were pretty cheap and got the job done.