News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Hello and Advice

Started by FrankieDi, December 12, 2017, 04:58:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FrankieDi

Wow, never thought about the caboose.  I added a small spur along side the service area.  This way the caboose, and any cars can be stored there.  Any other ideas?

Frankie

Tom Springer

What if you put a left turnout on that new spur, close to the new wye, could you then also have a track running from the diverging leg down behind/below the sand bin for a covered hopper to deliver sand?

You can use TrainPlayer to help determine the length of track needed to hold a chosen set cars; just be careful and realize that the car lengths in TrainPlayer don't account for the length of the couplers your cars have; different couplers have different lengths.  For my N scale work, I add 1/4 inch to every car length to account for the length of the MTL couplers I use.  One nice feature of TrainPlayer is that you can set the length of a car as you wish, either when on a layout, or in the car library (then it's saved for future use); that and the ability to have your own car libraries, as I do, makes things easier to use.

You do realize a model railroad design is never finished ...
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

FrankieDi

I played with adding the additional track, but i did not like the way it looked, (cluttered up the middle).  I did add a slight curve to the new spur to make it lay closer to the sanding bin.  It extends past so there is space to hold a caboose and deliver sand if need be. I am well aware of it never being finished.  It has been over 30 years since I built my last layout, (high school).  I have tried to stick as much "STUFF" into the layout as I could and finally abandoned it for the "Keep it Simple..." motto.  Once I see how I do with this one, and I can get the room, I will look to expand.  Once again, thank you.  Please keep the suggestions/thoughts coming.

Frankie

mrsax2000

Following the less is more mantra, you may want to skip the pigsty.  That is such a small space and it might be better to simply let the tunnel/mountain continue all the way into the corner.  It's a nice plan.  Not sure the sty really adds anything.

You will probably need more space for the tunnel portals and hills than your plan shows. Once you actually start laying things out, you see what physically works.

Be sure to allow some way to get inside the tunnels for maintenance - cleaning rails and retrieving derailed trains.