News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Scaling problem .stl into Solidworks

Started by wisco608, December 22, 2017, 08:08:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisco608

Hello all,

First, thanks for the great software!

I'm by no means an expert in any of this - we have a single Lionel O setup that I put around the tree every year.

We have tile floors and the train(s) I purchased came with the Lionel Fastrack. Needless to say it's rather noisy. I came across Anyrail because I wanted to simply export a O-36 full curve and a 10" straight as a .stl file so I could design a simple oval layout rail bed (.75" mdf) in Solidworks to be cut out on my CNC.

I'm sure it's something I'm doing but when I export the track section and bring it into SW the scaling is way off. For example on the straight 10" section the cross width is something like 8.25" instead of 3.334" (via my digital caliper).

Happy to provide more details if needed. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

-Matt

David

The ratio of your measurements seems quite close to 2.54, exactly an inch in centimeters.
STL files do not have notion of 'unit'. It seems like the import into Solid Works assumed inches, but you should set it to centimeters.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

wisco608

Hi David,

Brilliant and equally embarrassing... Quick change of the .stl import options in SW to centimeters from inches solved it.

Thanks!