News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Printing 1:1 some pieces are correct others not

Started by tommy-nscale, January 02, 2018, 10:33:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tommy-nscale

I am printing an N-scale 2 by 4 foot layout. I have standard Atlas parts in the layout and am am printing using the center line.
Most of the center line track is exactly the same as the actual piece of track. But not all.
A problem happens with the Atlas 2510 30 degree pieces. Almost all of them match, but I have two that the print out is about 1/2" longer than the actual track. Both pieces are on a single sheet of paper so it is not an alignment problem. They are on a 3% grade, but other pieces of 2510 on the same grade are fine.

I can add images of good and bid if you like.
Any ideas?
Thank you

David

Yes, please add some pictures, and if possible the .any plan file.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

tommy-nscale

David,
Here is the file and two pictures. The pictures are of the track on top of the the same sheet of paper, one shows a perfect fit, the other shows the longer line.
Thanks

David

The problem is that you have a very bad fit in the second case. The track endpoints are quite a bit apart.
So the track is not longer, but the gap makes it seem longer.

It's easier to see when you don't just show the center lines, but the track instead (in the SHOW tab).
In the right bottom corner, you can see the gap between the track pieces.
The dividing line between the parts is not the endpoint of the track, but in the middle of the gap between the parts.

It seems you've set the tolerances for the space between tracks to 1/2". This allows the software to make such a connection.
In reality, with a little help of the play in the track, you can probably fit it together, but you might want to look for a neater way to make it all fit.

Also, at the right top, the tracks are way too close together. You need more clearance. You can see this if you tick the 'Roadbed' check box on the SHOW tab, or even better, tick the 'Trace' check box and set its 'Width' to the track distance that Atlas suggests of 1 1/4".
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

tommy-nscale

David thank you so much.
I will take your advice and see if I can't improve it.
If I see a problem after that, I will try e-mailing you directly.
Thanks again.