News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Proxy track objects

Started by TrainzLuvr, June 02, 2018, 02:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TrainzLuvr

A bit of a background...I've gone through many iterations of my current layout design (still unfinished). But after awhile some things got crystallized such as the location and approximate size of the main classification yard.
Problem is that I have many versions of the layout, using the same yard, and each version is an individual file with a separate yard layer.

This is where a "proxy" track object comes in. Any track geometry, let's say a yard or an engine facility, etc, that's loaded as a proxy could be manipulated (position it, rotate it, perhaps connect to tracks but couldn't delete or change any track within that proxy). If you load the actual object alone instead of a proxy into AnyRail, you could alter it and once saved, any scene that has this object as a proxy would automatically update upon loading it.

I understand that this could break track connections if original object is altered but just the fact that this object could automatically update across various AnyRail files would be a huge bonus, imho.

I suppose this is something similar to User Objects as they are immutable, just for track geometry.
YouTube channel: Trainz Luvr

David

I'm afraid this makes things very complicated and fragile.
If either the 'proxy object' is changed, in where the endpoints are, or in height, it does not fit anymore.
Neither does it still fit when the accepting layout changes in this respect.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

TrainzLuvr

Maybe you could define it based on some of the modular building concepts that already exist, as in building blocks or dominoes?

As long as parameters are set for the boundaries, whatever happens inside the block is not important outside that object.
YouTube channel: Trainz Luvr