News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Error in Peco turnouts

Started by Hoiiip, August 06, 2018, 04:06:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hoiiip

The Peco turnouts in AR do not reflect the extra long sleepers on which the switch machine is located.  The result is when drawing a track plan, if turnouts are closely placed near each other the sleepers appear to not interfere with each other, but in actual practice that is not the case.  The long sleepers bump up against other sleepers, requiring trimming or placing short straight sections between the turnouts to increase the distance between sleepers.  The template in AR needs to be corrected to show the long sleepers.

Compare the attached 1:1 AR template of a Peco turnout with these templates from Peco's website:

https://www.peco-uk.com/imageselector/Files/Track-templates/c83/SL-8361%20&%20SL-8362.pdf

David

You are correct.

The reason is that many people would cut these off and use under-the-board motors, but perhaps we should make this some sort of option.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Hoiiip

Even using under-the-board motors it's still prototypical to include the long sleepers.  Several companies including Walthers and Peco offer dummy electric switch motors that fit perfectly on the sleepers.  I would appreciate the option.  When building my layout I had to make several changes in yards because what looked good on paper didn't work well in practice, requiring extensive trimming of sleepers.

It would be nicer if Peco offered both left and right long sleepers as an option for purchase.  It's easy enough to flip them if you have both a left and right-hand turnout but without the the need to flip both, you are out of luck unless you want to sacrifice a turnout for parts.