News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Please could someone check this to say if it would work?

Started by Ashbourne, September 10, 2018, 10:15:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ashbourne

I'm new to this and wondered if this layout would work please? I'm new to AnyRail and trying to plan a new DCC layout. I don't have much space: 3m x 2m50 but want to include the maximum running I can. The track is code 75 peco bullrail. Do you think I've left enough passing room? Any issues I've missed? Thankyou in anticipation of your kind responses.

Andy

David

Welcome Andy!

Nice plan, but I think it's too crowded.

Curved shunting tracks are usually a bad idea. Model train couplers don't work well at an angle.

If you open the SHOW tab, check "Trace', and enter a value of 5.2 (cm), you'll see where the problem areas are, and trains might hit each other, especially in curves.

I think it's better to leave out a few of the turnouts.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Ashbourne

Thankyou. If I amend it please would you give your thoughts please? Thanks
Andy

owl90

Andy
You might want to check your inner loop. Looks like you can enter loop, but not sure how the train will leave the loop

Bob Bryce

That is an awful lot of track and no room for any scenery or buildings.  You might try loading this into Train Player and see if it will even be a working railroad.  Too many switches and short sidings.  Too many cross-overs.  Do you really need all of this?  Once the track is laid, if there is no room for anything else, the fun is over.

Keesoldscool

In contrast to David, I think this plan is boring. Trains only circle around in the same direction. Once in the inner loop the only way out is reverse. I know that this feedback is a tough, but it's a plan without vision. Looking at it make you feel dizzy.
Bob says quite rightly that there in no room for scenery. And some of the sidings are short.
So, do you only want to see trains running around and use a turnout sometimes, then this plan fits. But after a little time you will get bored, because to this plan lacks a vision.
I think that you need to create parameters to which the track must meet. And then create a plan.
Sorry for the harsh words, but my intentions are constructive.

Grtz. Kees

Ashbourne

I appreciate the feedback and take it in the spirit it is intended. Constructive. As my first attempt I was well prepared for everyone's words and thank you all for taking the time to reply. I will take on board all you have said and try again. Better to make mistakes in planning than to mess it up in construction. V2 is underway, and once more, I value your greater experience and advice. Kindest regards
Andy

Tom Springer

Andy,

If you would provide details on your layout goals, type of equipment, era, nature of operations you like (switching, long runs, etc.), and any prototype considerations/locale, I'm sure a lot of suggestions could be made that might inspire your efforts forward.  And if there is a pre-existing plan or two that might have gotten your interest or which have features you like, that, too, would be worth noting.
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

mrsax2000

It would work, but you may be disappointed with the end result. 

Tracks should be realistically spaced. Read up on standard spacing for parallel tracks as well as on turns (train cars overhang).  Few tracks and proper spacing will help the trains look better when they are running.

Simplify the layout.  There is too much going on.  You have plenty of space.  It's just not used effectively.  And less IS more.

Google similar plans for your scale and room size for ideas and inspiration.  There is nothing wrong with borrowing good ideas.

Another reply suggested to list what you want the layout to accomplish.  That's a very good starting point and will help you determine how to develop the plan.