News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

How Close are the Turnout Drawings?

Started by RCMan, October 15, 2018, 02:21:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCMan

I have been working on a layout for almost 2 years. A member has stepped up and help to improve the design.  However, he does not use Anyrail but uses 3rd Planit instead.

He sends me a .JPG file and also a 3rd Planit file for me to look at. The JPG file is used to importing Anyrail.

The issue I am having is when using a given spacing of parallel tracks, say 2 1/4" there is a length of track needed between two opsosing turnouts in a yard or any combination of turnouts.

I am using Peco HO Electro-frog Code 100 track, my drawing says the length of the track between two opposing turnouts (#5, #6 & #8) is 1 inch.  In 3rd Planit the length is 1 1/4". The difference would making a classification yard much deeper if an additional 1/4" is needed needed. Likewise the track used on a ladder would be longer also.

I have tried to measure this at a club that uses Peco Code 83 track and they did not follow sire alignment well but did see some with 2 1/4" spacing and the piece was 1".

How is correct?

Dennis
Bonham Texas

David

I'm currently travelling, so I can't really verify, but if you take a look at the templates on the Peco website, it seems that center-to-center distance is just over 2". In AnyRail, I measure 2 1/16".
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

RCMan

Dennis
Bonham Texas