News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Is there a way to connect 'disconnected' tracks?

Started by PolarBear123, November 06, 2018, 10:54:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PolarBear123

Hello, I really enjoy AnyRail, even though I've encountered a problem. I'm not a pro in designing tracks. This is why I encounter circles or loops, where the ends don't perfectly fit together (see attached pictures).
So is there a way to just magically connect these rails? There probably isn't, but why not ask... :D ;D

Tom Springer

Without seeing the layout and the track libraries, guessing you might be using sectional track.  Without the flexibility of flex track to make curves as you need them, it can be hard to work with sectional track, being bound by the physical (locked-in) characteristics of that track. Curvature of various manufactured turnouts often don't match the curvature of their curved sectional pieces; things then work only if you match the ends of the curve with identical turnouts, and are willing to work with the (per-determined) curves and positioning that the sectional track requires.

If you post the layout so we can see it and the track libraries, perhaps specific suggestions and comments can be made. Perhaps the track library has a specific curved part for use with turnouts to match the curvature needed.  Unfortunately, with sectional track alone, getting things to match up to connect can be a real issue.
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

PolarBear123

I'm kind of a noob in AnyRail, I got it a few weeks ago. I will just post a screenshot of my layout. I'm using Maerklin HO Track C. See attached screenshot.

Tom Springer

We're all noobs ... just that most don't have the courage to acknowledge it ... :P

Having the AnyRail .any file would be nice; then we can play with it somewhat. No one judges another's layout. Each of us lives in a different world when it comes to wants vs needs vs. limitations.  I'm still hoping for a 250ftx250ft building to build my ideal layout (full D&RGW).
Tom Springer

PolarBear123

Ok, no judging. I hope attaching the .any file will help, if it even allows to attach it.

Tom Springer

Looking at your trackage, using the Marklin C track, you have to live and work with the fixed geometry that track library provides. The main reason that you can't get your track to align, and why AnyRail could never align/connect the ends for you, is that the rigid geometry doesn't allow any flexibility to do so - the track parts cannot be changed in length or curvature.  And unfortunately, there doesn't appear to be any straight part short enough to make your curves/arcs work.  At least I couldn't find a way.

To get a plan you want with the track connected, you may have to almost tear your plan apart and start over.  Because I think to get things working, the first place to look is at the turnouts and their geometry.  The 24612 right-hand turnout's curved leg has a 24.3 degree angle; so at some point to get "back" to a 90/270 degree alignment for the curved track path, you have to use track with a curvature other than those 30 degree parts, something like the 24206 part which is a small curve of 5.7 degrees.  It might be best, given the limitations of the Marklin C track parts, to create a basic oval working/connected together and then expand from there with appropriate turnouts, to create a logical series of ovals that align with each other in a series of overlapping of ovals.  Another consideration is that, when using a 24612 turnout, is to attach a 24206 part to the end of the curved leg so that you have a complete 30 degree arc and work outward from there.

Some of the other track libraries/manufactures have included a straight track piece that can be 'expanded' (extended in length), to help with making different configurations work.  I don't think Marklin does, so I don't see a way to get the track parts in your current design to connect.  If only there was some flex track that you could use.

I wish I could see things differently.  Maybe someone else more experienced with using Marklin track might.  I hope they would then jump into this thread.
Tom Springer

Keesoldscool

It's just the way Tom says: The magic is the knowledge of the geometry. In the first attachment a plan with all the tracks fitted. However, there is a problem with the angle of inclination. See second attachment. So this plan needs some attention.

Grz.

Kees
Grtz. Kees

PolarBear123

So I'm just going to work with the first plan. Thanks for making them and thanks for all the other help.

Tom Springer

If you think you could cut a straight piece of Marklin C track to fit your gaps, you could choose a piece of Marklin K flex track in the AnyRail layout to cover the gaps and connect the tracks; then where that track appears in the layout, you simply cut and use a piece of straight Marklin C track in it's place.  Maybe a possible way to help get your design finished, assuming, of course, the alignments and angle issues can be resolved.
Tom Springer

David

You can cheat a little bit by making imperfect connections.
To do so, untick the 'Autoconnect' checkbox on the SETTINGS tab.

Now, you can connect track as long as it's within the tolerances, that can be found on the same tab.
The track will now connect at a small angle or with a slight gap (or overlap, but please try to avoid that!).

Please note that Märklin C track is quite sturdy, so you don't have that much wiggle room.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

cinoaz

I work with Lionel O gauge and very rarely do my layouts align "perfectly".  Anyrail lets me see just how far off that "final" connection point is for my desired layout.  I think most any track allows for some wiggle room, a slight nudge or similar shimmy to coax ends together as long as they are pretty close.  Once you work with your track a few times you'll know how far you can "stretch" that final connection to make it work, given, a perfect connection is always desired I think I have accomplished that once in my many years of using Anyrail with fixed length track.

David

David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.