News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Peco #6 turnout

Started by RCMan, November 13, 2018, 02:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCMan

David: With the update for Peco HO Code 100 track being tweaked, I have a large layout designed using this library. 
How does the tweak effect this?

I did notice crossovers now need an addition 1/2" added between the diverging point to get the same 2 1/4" spacing.

Do I have to go through the whole design and change all the turnouts etc?
Dennis
Bonham Texas

David

The changes to the Peco library were minimal. In most cases the changes were less than a millimeter.
The center-to-center distance that most of the turnouts produce is 2". The diverting leg is usually 1" away from the straight leg.
So indeed if you require a 2 1/4" distance, you will need to insert a short straight bit. But that was always the case.

Which turnouts do you use for the crossovers?
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

RCMan

Peco Streamline Code 100 Number #6.

Before the section of track was 1" now it seems to be 1.5"

I use the "Parallel Track" to make the 2 1/4" spacing.

I add two turnouts and one length of flex track, Connect one turnout to the flex track main route.
Then create the "Parallel Track" and move the other turnout till it overlays the parallel track (eye Balled), then I  create short piece of flex track and use the "Straight Flex" option to enter the length needed. Connect that piece between the diverging turnouts and see if the two turnouts really align on top of the parallel tracks. Use the "Undo" to get me back to the point of changing the length of the short piece, change the length and connect again. Use this method all the time. Once you know the lengths it makes your track design faster. Yes, you can use the "Freeze Flex" to prevent distortion or length change on the short section.

This has worked for me to eliminate variations in joining turnouts once one short section is created then it can be copied and pasted every time a new cross over is needed using the same turnout configuration.

You will come up with a small group of short sections that you can use for different configurations.
Dennis
Bonham Texas

David

I'm a bit confused.

Are you sure it's the code 100 track, and not code 83?
Code 100 does not have a #6 turnout, they're all 12 degrees, so that is somewhere between a #4 and #5 turnout.

If it's code 83, it would be part numbers SL-8362/8363, but these have not been changed.

RCMan

I found my mistake.

You are correct.

Apologies

Dennis

Dennis
Bonham Texas

David

Hi Dennis. No worries! Good to hear it's all OK now.