News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Pull and Stretch

Started by Future-Digital, November 16, 2018, 10:57:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Future-Digital

David,

Some day, when you are sitting around bored and wondering what to do, please think about this:

Consider a piece of flex connected to something immovable on one end and connected to a non-flex object, such as a fixed DCC-turnout.

It would be really nice if the user could move the turnout and the flex, or two or more, would reshape to flow with it. This should include a rotate of the fixed object so that the flex moves with that, too.

What I am thinking of is actually a Y with flex as the legs and a fixed turnout as the center point. All the outer ends of the 3 flex are attached and immovable. Take the center turnout and drag it. The three pieces of flex should reshape, even if the turnout is rotated.

Would be nice. One day when you are bored.

Thanks.

Bill

"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx

David

In principle, I like the idea.

We've considered this in the past, but in practice it might be a bit hard where to limit it.

For instance, you might have a turnout with flexes on two ends, a short bit of straight at the third end immediately connected to a third flex.
Or, you have two turnouts connected, but for the rest all flexes.

David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

TrainzLuvr

I don't think that would be an issue, if you set some limitations from the beginning. Allow "pulling" only if all 3 pieces are flex track and let the user know what they can't "pull" (highlight the frozen/short piece of track in red). Incidentally, these kinds of visual clues could be added elsewhere, as part of a larger UX overhaul.
YouTube channel: Trainz Luvr