News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

First Train Layout - Feedback Welcomed/Wanted (Kato Unitrack)

Started by jnord, January 23, 2011, 10:17:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrsax2000

Do copy and steal ideas from other layouts/plans.  See if they work for you.  You might put a new twist on something.

If you have room to walk around the layout, consider building with a view block down the middle.  It will make the layout feel bigger than it is.  I always make this comment because I think it is a great idea for smaller layouts.  I am building a shelf layout along a couple walls.  But if I did more of a 4x8/L-shape, I'd split it down the middle.

Also, you don't need to glue all the sections.  1 will do :)

mrsax2000

To give some idea what you can do with Kato, see attached. This is my plan. There are some gotchas. If you use #4 switch, you should use the straight sections next to those. They are cut to fit. Otherwise, you have trim std pieces. If you stick with #6, you don't need the extra pieces and the 6 switches are cheaper.

When you are done, go to File - Info and copy the track list to clipboard and paste into Excel or whatever. It will give you a list of the pieces you need.  You need to figure out what comes in 2 or 4 to a pack.  But you can use it estimate the cost.