News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Basement N Scale

Started by Vic A, December 07, 2018, 12:21:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Track Planner

Vic,
Regarding your question about "walk-along" and Point-to-Point...
Walk-Along... in you reply, you used the term "walk-around", basically "around & along" can be use interchangeably with one big difference: "walk-around" is what I consider your present plan to be, you walk around the benchwork with your train following the benchwork configuration. In my opinion, many "walk-around" layouts have been designed based on the benchwork configuration, i.e. the builder figures out how he/she wants the benchwork to look, then incorporates the track to fit the benchwork. As a designer, I do the exact opposite (see next paragraph).
In most cases, I design the track plan first, then fit the benchwork to the track configuration, all the while, allowing for aisle widths, obstacles, doors, windows, water/sewer pipes, etc. But, I don't let the benchwork determine the track design.
Point-to-Point... most "walk along" designs are point-to-point, but I have designed numerous track plans in two different ways 1) staging at each end (of the mainline run) with reverse loops for automatic re-staging and continuous running; or 2) I have designed a single track connecting the mainline, creating a continuous run, option. In many cases, this single track in on a narrow 3" of 4" shelf and is used only for continuous running or when the owner wants to break-in a new locomotive.
In my opinion, walk-along (w/staging), should give the operator the feeling his/her train (and themselves) are actually "coming from somewhere" or are "going to somewhere", beyond the layout room. In either case, the somewhere is usually hidden staging. A properly design "walk-along" plan, does not allow the operator to stand in one (maybe two places) and "watch" his train traverse the layout room. A properly designed "walk-along" design, makes the operator walk with his/her train from one location to the next. The other huge advantage of "walk-along" is you can create many small vignette scenes for the train to travel through, again created the illusion of distance, time and going somewhere.
Hope that helps

Vic A

Again, thank you for the input.

The attached plan shows more of the space we're working with.  I can't say all of what is shown is available but negotiations are underway.  If kept very narrow - under 12" - the right wall could be used for staging and then a return balloon near the corner (water main corner).  I keep drawing balloons in the 48" range.  Do they have to be so wide?

The space near the furnace could also be used as staging.  Area under the stairs doesn't do much but collect dust.  That would require another lift out/bridge though to span doorway to shop area.  And more money and more time.  And more money.

I feel like what is built and operating thus far is nearly a "walk along" if it wasn't for the Main taking a left and heading back down the hill.

Thanks
Vic

The Track Planner

Vic – Attached is a very rough and unfinished track plan showing what I consider to be a "walk-along" design. I wanted you to see what, I consider, a "walk-along" design could look like. As with any design there are advantages and disadvantages. The mainline placement and its travel across the room, is only to give you an idea of how the mainline would traverse the room. Base on specific industries and their locations the mainline would have to be adjusted at numerous points. Below I have listed what I feel are the advantages and the disadvantage of this design.
Advantages... 1) continuous running is possible; 2) trains do not double back over the same benchwork; 3) out of staging, trains can travel in either direction; 4) creates the longest possible mainline run without doubling back through the same scenes twice; 5) trains travel through scenes once; 6) operators have to "walk-along" with their trains; 7) operators get the sense of going somewhere; 8) numerous locations for industries and scenery; 9) view block makes the layout "feel" larger when entering the room, visitors/operators cannot see the whole layout with one scan of the room; 10) individual scenes can be better designed i.e. the ability to create small vignette scenes, trains can travel through; 11) reach-in is not an issue; 11) the staging yard will hold six trains of twenty cars or more.
Disadvantages... 1) on this plan, because of the family living space, I had to include two lift-outs. However, each contains only one track and if the lifts-out are only "in place" during op sessions or to rail fan trains, this should not create major issues. During work sessions, you normally would want the lift-outs removed. Plus, I feel the advantages out-weigh the disadvantages; 2) requires slightly more complex benchwork design.

Please accept the design, simply as an alternative. If you totally dislike it, you have not hurt my feels, but if you would like to discuss the design further, please contact me through me website @ www.thetrackplanner.com.

Vic A

That drawing is great!  Thank you - but you have quickly proven I have no imagination.  That is a bunch of railroad packed in but not crowded in.

mrsax2000

If there is nothing beyond the TV area, why not flip the whole thing around and avoid the drop-down across the door.  Place the TV, etc. at that end of the basement.  Unless the stairs open into that area, then nevermind :)