News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Swapping Peco tracks

Started by modelico, February 06, 2019, 09:35:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

modelico

I have designed my layout with H0 Peco code 100 track. I would like to have the same design with Peco code 83 and code 75. Is there an easy and quick way to do it?

TrainzLuvr

My guess is that while you could probably directly swap in C100 for C75 turnouts because they have the same frog angle (12°), C83 turnouts have different frog angles for each size:#5 at 11.4°, #6 at 9.5°, and #8 at 7.15° so that's a no go off the bat.

Most likely you would pull all the C100 turnouts from your layout design, put the C83 ones in. Then remove all flex track and fit new flex in-between. Even then, you are running into an issue of easements, and angles off of the diverging rails on the turnouts that need to be matched.
YouTube channel: Trainz Luvr

modelico

Thank you for your time and effort. Let´s forget abot code 83 so far, because it is something harder to solve, but even wwith code 75... should I copy my track plan and then change every turnout, one by one, and then try to fix each and every flex track? Could I have it done all in just a few clicks or is it impossible?

Future-Digital

There are times when the effort just isn't worth it.

No, there is no automatic way of swapping out all of one thing for another. Wish there were.

To make changes it will be a long and painful process. I found that out myself. I have found that I can, if I stare real hard at a track piece called C100 that I can IMAGINE it as being a C75 or whatever.

I wouldn't bother trying to swap everything out as it is only you that has to actually deal with the difference.

On the other hand, on a really slow day, you can swap out a few things here and there just for fun. Maybe one day you will finish.

Don't think I am trying to be flippant. I'm not. I just remember the groan I made when I realized I had hundreds of items that were ALMOST right and it just wasn't worth the trouble to make all the changes when, at least in my case, it would make no real difference in the shape and placement of ANYTHING.
Good luck.
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx

Bob Bryce

My 2 cents, for what 2 cents are worth today, I had issues with some of my older steam locomotives on train club's code 83 track, where the wheel flanges were too tall to run on code 83 track.  Mostly occurred on Riverossi.

My railroad is all code 100.  It's not that much taller in reality and I would be cautious about having all my mainlines of code 75.

Personally, I like the code 100.  Low hanging couplers (especially Bachmann) don't grab ties, uncoupling magnets fit nice and ballast doesn't interfere as much.  I know many others do not have issues with code 83, and I am not saying you always will.  I just like the code 100 better myself, especially if it meant re-designing the entire layout!! :-X

modelico

Thank you for these two insightful replies based on experience. It is just what I was looking for!! :)