News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Search Feature and other wishes..

Started by Wayne, February 17, 2019, 04:43:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wayne

• I noticed a 2018 thread about the search feature and I know that nothing has changed. What I would like is a search box where you enter the part number and AR would highlight all instances of this part on the track plan. As it is now I have to look at the track list and go to the appropriate layer to find that one piece of "offending" track. I'm not a programmer but think that this shouldn't be that difficult to implement.

• I also would like a function added that when for instance inserting a line if you hold the control key it would draw a straight line, once at the end one could release the control key and then press again and then go in a direction 90 degrees to the start of the line. This would be very helpful for inserting surfaces also.
    Most drawing software has a similar function.

• I would also like to see a lot more building foot prints added to the objects library.
I am a relatively new user of AR and love the program.

Tom Springer

Wayne,

Welcome to AnyRail and to the forum.

From one user to another ...

Item #1:  If you right-click on a track part, in the list of functions that is displayed, select "Search these parts" and all occurrences of that part will be highlighted. ( If you have sections colored, you may have to disable showing the sections [Show->Sections turned off] in order to see the highlighting.)  To remove the highlighting, right click again and turn off the "Search these parts" choice, or search for another part.  You can also use the Home tab: enable the "active" option, and you get a search box available; clicking on that box then displays the list of parts used in the layout, and if you select one from that list, all occurrences are highlighted the same as if you used the first (right-click) method.

Item #2: The drawing of a straight line by holding the shift key works to extend an existing line.  For extending at a 90-degree angle, you can right-click on one of the line's endpoints, then use "resume drawing" to add a new point, then explicitly position that endpoint by changing it's coordinates to be 90 degrees perpendicular to and above/below the existing line, then using the shift key to extend that line element.  Best workaround until a feature as you request is added.  Most of my work is done by explicitly setting the actual endpoint coordinates, so for my N-scale items, I get the actual location defined down to the nearest 1/64th of an inch.  Just wish I had 6 decimal digits [using imperial units] always shown to be sure I'm truly accurate.

item#3: All of the user objects are created by users; they are not created by the AnyRail development team (hence the caveat you see in the upper left area of the AnyRail screen when you select the "User Objects" tab).

Is there a specific item you are looking for?  Some items potentially can be created as a user object based upon published information, such as some of the Walthers structures, because the footprint is provided.  For other manufacturers, without the kit itself to get the correct measurements, it might be hard to construct a correct user object, so to do that may come down to a user who has the kit providing the necessary information (or building the user object itself).
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

Wayne

Tom,
Thanks for your reply.

• Neither of your options seem to work for me..... no highlighting of similar parts. I had tried using the search box before but nothing happens when I select a part in the list.
    Even turning "sections" off I get no highlighting.
  • Perhaps I didn't explain myself as clearly as i should have. When I want to draw a straight line parallel to the grid I have to carefully position my cursor to try to get it exactly parallel to the grid which seldom happens. I would like a function that when you select the first point, pressing the control key would give you a line absolutely parallel to the grid when you select the second point. Further by moving the mouse in an area close to perpendicular to the line just created pressing the control key would automatically create a 90 degree angle when the third point is selected. As it is now it's just guess work.
  • How does one go about adding "User Objects" to the program?
Also a function when you highlight an object in the track plan and right click it to be able to move it to a different/new layer. Now the only way i know of doing this is to copy the item, delete it from the current layer, select the layer I want it on and then paste it and try to move it back to the exact location it was on the previous layer.
These are just small nit picks I have having using the program for only a couple of months.
Wayne
AnyRail 6.22.0 (Jan.21, 2019)

Tom Springer

Wayne,

The file you attached has all but one layer locked.  When you want to move an item from one layer to another, you aren't by chance trying to do so with a locked layer because things in a locked layer can't be changed (or even selected). I unlocked the "Industry" and "Rivers and Roads" layers, then I can click on (select) the "Lennox Generating Station" item (in the Industry layer) then using the "layers" choice at the upper left of the screen, I can change/move that item to "Rivers and Roads".  Is that what you are trying to do?  Am I missing something?

Yes, the Shift key function only works for extending an existing line.  Use the "snap to grid" support for drawing the initial line.  Set the "snap" amount to the value of your grid to get a line drawn along the actual grid line. When you position the first point, it will 'snap' to the closest grid point; i.e., if you have a 6 inch grid, the first point's coordinate will be the one closest to the x,y position that is a multiple of 6 along both the x and y axis lines, and as you then draw the line, the other points will also 'snap' to the nearest grid point.  If you want a line parallel to a grid line but not actually on it (above/below, right/left), just set the snap value smaller than the grid value, and draw the line.  For example, to be .25 away from a grid line, set the snap value to .25 and draw the line.  May take some practice to get it as you want, but it works. Just remember to turn off the 'snap' function, or you can accidentally move things ... as I often do because I forget. I believe with a little practice, you can get your 90 degree angles done this way as well.  Until new function is added, that is.

User objects are just things that have been created by users and made available (published) for others to download.  You can make your own if you want.  You simply create the item on your layout, then right-click on it, and use the "Save as object" choice in the pop-up list.  It is then stored on your computer in the AnyRail objects folder and you can get it whenever you want via the "User Objects" tab. You should try this out... take one of your smokestacks, right-click on it and select "Save as object".  You then get a dialog panel to fill out.  Most of the fields are self-explanatory.  But as this isn't from a known "Manufacturer", unless you want to pretend it is, you should choose to put it under your own name for that category... just type that name into that field ... maybe "Wayne's World"?   (Sorry, couldn't resist). Once the info is completed, click OK and you have a new object.  To see it, go to the User Objects tab, select the alphabetical group that cover's the "Wayne's World" section (same place Walthers is located), click on it, look for "Wayne's World" and click on that, and a pane (panel) opens showing the objects in that category.  There's your smokestack.

If you want an object that includes multiple components, first group them together into an actual "Group", then save that group as the object.  Try that with the "Lennox Generating Station", grouping the yellow box, the Lennox text, and maybe even the side grey connections box; then use this new group to repeat the object creation process.

Now you are ready to make those Walthers items you've used ... unless they already exist, of course.  Pretty soon, you'll start publishing for others to use.

As for why the search isn't highlighting (at least I can't see it if it is), @David will have to answer that.  It works on my N-scale layouts; don't know why it doesn't seem to work here.

Tom Springer

Wayne

Tom,
That's exactly what I was trying to do.
I didn't know about the layer option you described. Now I do. This will make my life much easier. I did know about locking and unlocking layers.
Thank you again.
I will try the snap to grid option, but I would still like the control key feature.
I will create my own user objects as they are as close to scale footprint as possible and will be good enough for me if I create another layout.
This one is very ambitious and will take forever to build and get operational.
Tom I appreciate your help. I watch 'Whats Neat This Week' and I have to agree that this is the best hobby in the world especially the people who are involved in it.
Regards,
Wayne

TrainzLuvr

Hi Wayne,

I couldn't help but notice that the peninsula benchwork is extremely deep, more than a practical suggested maximum of 30".

The entire engine facility in the upper right, the industry in the upper left, the industry with the blue track on the peninsula etc., they are all inoperable because a person's hands simply can't reach that far.

Was there a reason for this design and layout shape? Is that an existing (structural) wall dividing the room, or can the wall be relocated?
YouTube channel: Trainz Luvr

The Track Planner

Wayne,
I agree with Trainzluvr regarding benchwork widths. Along the north benchwork it appears the width is set at 48" which is way too wide for the average height adult to reach-in. When I design, I very rarely design benchwork over 30", anywhere! The peninsula has the same issue and appears to be at or over 8 feet wide, again way too wide to reach-in comfortably, from either side. It is okay to have the turn-back on the peninsula at 8 foot wide as along as narrow the peninsula back in as you reach the neck of the peninsula, e.g. make it look like a tear drop or light bulb. Also, I never design mainlines (in large classification yards) to run in front of the sorting tracks. Operators have to reach over trains running on the mainline, not a good situation. I would move the mainline to the back of the yard and place the sorting tracks up front. The plan would also be more interesting if you had the mainline run across the benchwork at angles, instead of parallel the the benchwork edge. You can still place industries on either side of the mainline, just like the prototypes and it looks more interesting to the eye. Regarding staging yards, I like staging yards with reverse loops, for automatic re-staging of trains. That said, if you are designing a point-to-point trackplan with staging at each end, you should design staging so both yards are the same size, holding the same number and lengths of tracks. Your staging along the south side is much larger then staging along the west side. This can make for un-even train movements and cause problems during op sessions. It appears the south side staging has much longer tracks, then the west side staging, another potential operating issue. Lastly, in my opinion, your main classification yard is too large, e.g. long, for the overall size of the track plan. I always try to design the yards arrival/departure track(s) to hold the longest train I will run. It appears you do not have a yard switching lead? This is the most important track in a yard. When I design yards I always include a switching lead, sometime two (one at each end) and make them 125% longer then the longest sorting yard storage track. Side note: most modelers new to the hobby, want to run trains many times longer then the size of the layout should support. This creates all  kinds of operating problems, if you want the layout to function like a real railroad. If you are simply designing a "rail fanning" layout, then length doesn't make any difference.
Just my opinions, Bill - The Track Planner

Wayne

Hi,
@trainzluvr and Bill.....
Thank you both for the ideas and advice.I am taking all suggestions under advisement.  ;D  I was aware that some of the distances were large.
I have modified the plan and now the longest reach is 33" which is doable for me.
Most of this will be on the welded rail facility track which I intend to not be operational but just a line of parked welded rail cars and perhaps maintenance of way equipment.
I do intend on using magnetic uncouplers on all  sidings and all switches will be powered so reaching over the mainline should not be an issue unless of a derailment (which will happen).
Both the Belleville and Brockville yards are like the prototypes. I changed the passing siding at the Belleville yard to the yard side and think that this could be used as the yard lead. (Opinions)
I have been trying to figure out how to make the track layout more interesting and will continue to work on that.
The longest trains will be between 25 and 30 cars.
@trainzluvr what were your thoughts on the peninsula dividing wall? This is a completely new layout so anything can and probably will change as I progress.
This layout is a freelance based loosely on the prototype
Again I appreciate all advice and comments.
Wayne

The Track Planner

Wayne,
Thanks for the thank you!
After looking at your update and seeing that your overall space (appears) to measure in the range of 30' x 40' I have a suggestion on how to better utilize the space. I should have caught this in the original version but missed it. My bad!!
Based on the drawings available space and the fact you are going with a freelance/prototype railroad, which I think is always the best way to go, I would use the space in such a way, that it would increase your mainline run, by close to 40%, if not more! See points below.
- I would design the track plan so as to incorporate two opposing peninsulas, instead of just one. This will greatly increase your mainline run and you could still maintain decent aisle widths.
- To do this would require narrowing your around the walls benchwork, but this is not an issue because the addition of a second peninsula, more then recoups any lost real estate around the outside walls.
- By designing opposing peninsulas you also (automatically) increase the run time of trains by almost 50%, assuming you run trains at "scale" prototypical speeds. Also, using view blocks on the (opposing) peninsulas you would increased the "size feel" of the layout by at least 50%, maybe more. BTW... I design view blocks with thickness's in the 2" range not 10" to 12" as you have on your design.
- By having view blocks built into both (opposing) peninsulas, visitors and operates will only see about 25% of the layout at any given point, no matter where they are standing. Again, making the layout "feel" larger then it really is.
- Also, you can still have a point-to-point layout without the need for reversing loops in each staging yard. Based on the design I'm suggesting, you would only need one staging yard. It would be double ended and placed along one of the outside walls and would serve both ends of the layout. I have designed numerous staging yards this way and you need less then 18" of benchwork width to place the staging yard, that services the whole layout.
- Doing a little more complex design, but one that would give you the feel of a "true" point-to-point railroad, I would be to include a helix and place staging on a lower level. With my design suggestion, I would use the space under the two peninsulas as separate staging yards. Again, I have designed numerous track plans using this concept. The major advantage is trains disappear from the visible portion of the layout, giving operators (and visitors) the "very real" feeling of trains actually "going somewhere" or "coming from somewhere", beyond the basement! Your railroad becomes a mini-transportation system, part of a larger nationwide system, not just a model railroad in a room.

If you would like to discuss these and other options, feel free to contact me via my website at www.thetrackplanner.com. You have a great space to work with and I would like to see you use the space, in the best possible way.

Again, just my opinion, Bill - The Track Planner

TrainzLuvr

Hi Wayne,

It's hard to beat Bill's suggestions. :)

Most of us dream about having 30x40' space for a model railroad. So, a megalomaniac model railroader that I am, I'd consider multiple deck layout with an incline connecting the decks, similar to Tony Koester's Nickle Plate Road. This would double (or more) the run, so why not also include a bit more of Ontario in there?

Tony's staging yards are stub-ended though, but I'm sure a turn-back loop could be squeezed in somewhere, otherwise an 0-5-0 staging job could be established (preferably if both ends of the railroad are above one another).

This is what one deck on Tony's layout looks like:

A few more selected layouts I liked, with shapes that would fit your space. I also included links to their YouTube channels/videos.

Santa Fe Railway Southern Division - YouTube video tour

ATSF Hereford Sub - YouTube channel

Oregon Joint Line Model Railroad - YouTube channel

This next one I like how cleverly the staging area was designed - accessible but out of the way in the closet, and with through traffic. Though have to contend with two helices but they are flanking the doorway.

Rock Island (St. Paul to Kansas City) - RImodeler79 YouTube channel

Also, has any consideration been given where a dispatcher or the crew would sit? There could easily be 10-15 people operating in this space, even if you've segregated some of it for a dispatcher's office and a lounge area.

Oh, and I'd start "rounding up" the gang crew now and have enough lumber, tools and track ready to keep them busy, so that it doesn't take forever to build. ;)

Wayne

@TrainzLuvr...
Again thank you for your response. I have taken Bill's advice and started from scratch using two opposing islands. At this point in time a single layer is all I want to try to tackle.
You are right that I need a "large" crew to help me with this project. The problem with Canada and Ontario is it's expansiveness. One end of Ontario to the other is approx. 1800 km (1100 miles)
Toronto to Montreal is 540 km. so having said this I prefer to stick with an area that I grew up in and am a bit familiar with. What I'm modelling represents about 150 km.
Thank you for the layouts and the youtube links. I do watch a lot of youtube model railroaders.
Again thank you ...I'll keep you posted once I finish revision "#5"

Tom Springer

Wayne,

Out of curiosity, is this your first layout?  If not, what areas of building/operating your prior layout(s) did you find the most enjoyable and what were the most troublesome?
Tom Springer

David

About the search function:

I see there's a bug in it. You need to check both 'Active' and 'Combine flex' on the HOME tab.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

TrainzLuvr

Hi Wayne,

I'm in Toronto and so I'm somewhat familiar with the region. Your area does have some interesting railroading features, last time I was checking the satellite imagery on the maps. I noticed a handful of abandoned round houses even and lots of interesting junctions, industries and what not. A lot of activity was going on around there in the past (not sure right now).

I definitely see why you want to start with a single deck (30x40' space). Though keep your options open, you never know how it goes. My space is a mere quarter of yours (22x13') so I opted to go multi-deck since I did not have enough room for a single deck empire..errr longer run.

Have you decided on the type of benchwork you plan to build as that would also dictate whether you can go up later on, or not?