News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

My first layout and track plan....need comments

Started by Ash, February 18, 2019, 01:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ash

I'm getting back into the hobby after many years away.
I've built my bench work in a spare room using most of the available space. I have created this track plan and plan to start assembly soon.
I've attached my current (work in progress). It's pretty basic, haven't added slopes or many details yet.
AnyRail is a great program and I was comfortable using it after a couple of days, but I have a couple of questions;
1. I'm not sure if reverse loops (SHOW tab) are properly shown on my plan? Show "Reverse Loops" not described in documentation
2. At some of my track connection points are indicated with a green outlined diamond, what does this mean? Also can't find in documentation.
I will be using DCC control. I planning for a mainline & branch loops. I want two main industry areas for mining and logging
My sub base will be plywood, Foam & Woodland Scenics risers and inclines. I haven't perfected adding slopes with AnyRail yet...first attempts did not turn out well, again "work in progress". 
Any constructive comments or suggestions will be appreciated.  :)
Thanks,
Ash

Tom Springer

Ash,

Welcome to AnyRail and the forum.

As you've seen, the documentation tends to "lag" somewhat. Fortunately, a lot of good folks here will help you with questions.

On the reverse loops question... AnyRail shows them but not every single piece of track, but enough to let you know that you have one. I believe this is to avoid overwhelming you with red track coloring when there are conditions, such as parallel tracks, that would be included in the "full" reverse loop. The objective is to let you see the "basic" reverse loop and decide how you want to handle it... either just be aware of it and wire appropriately with the right DCC equipment, or adjust the track. If after doing the latter, the loop condition still occurs, AnyRail will show the "new" path in question. I had one small test layout where all of it was a reverse loop, and had it all been colored red I might have questioned "what in the world..." without realizing what I was looking at.

The "green" highlighted connections are those whose height is "locked" and can't be changed; this could be the normal connection with a green diamond, or an isolated connection where the triangles have the green markers. You can unlock the height for the connection (right-click on the connection and select "unlock").

Creating slopes is generally something that gets better over time for all of us; use the "smooth slope" function to help with them as you need to. Getting a good slope is a learning process.  And one that very much needs to factor in the equipment that will be using that track.  And if the sloping track is curved significantly, considering "superelevation" for the track might be a good idea - meaning one side of the track is raised slightly from the other side, something like the thickness of a 3x5 card or so underneath the outer edge of the roadbed, to avoid the track being flat and, instead, sloping slightly inward to deal with the forces around the curve trying to push the train off the outer rail of the track. "Superelevation" just raises the outer edge of the track about 1 - 2 degrees but it helps avoid many operational issues..

I am not an HO guy, nor a fan of "sectional" (fixed geometry) track (Kato, Bachmann), so I can't help with layouts that use that. I'll leave it to others to comment on the track plan.

One thing to consider on the physical structure: is a 2foot wide walkway usable?  What is the smallest-width door in your house? Carry a box through that door and see how much clearance you have, then imagine trying to do the same through your 2foot wide space between those 2 modules.  If it's just you and only you, you might become accustomed to that small width.  Would anyone else be going into your layout area?

Have fun and enjoy the AnyRail world.  One note of caution: it's addicting.

Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

mrsax2000

Don't know the dimensions, but what about using the walk-in closet?  A "simple" hole (tunnel) through the wall and you have more train.  That room could also server as workshop/dispatcher/staging.

Is the line in the left peninsula a backdrop/view block. If yes, good idea. It might work better as a straight diagonal.

mrsax2000

Consider adding layers for the room (floor space) and bench work, vs. separate files.  The overall size of the ANY plan will increase, but you'll see your track relative to doors/windows, etc.

And you'll have it all in 1 place.

Ash

The line in the left peninsula is a back drop. A straight diagonal would be easier. I'm using 3/32 hardboard for my backdrop along the wall and the peninsula.
This is my first layout in many years. Once I get my current bench work completed (see attached) I'm going to take it slow so I can make changes in the track plan and scenery. That being said, I'm thoroughly planning all aspects, with options for, track, scenery, control and wiring before I commit to permanent installation. So far I'm really enjoying the process.
I do need to stop and learn how to use the layering tools in Anyrail. Thanks for the observation.
Right now my walk-in closet is full. For now multiple levels are beyond my skill level.

Thanks for all the comments they're much appreciated.
Ash

Tom Springer

Ash,

Your construction looks top notch; quality that we should all strive for.

Did notice that power outlet in the back.  Have you considered running all power from a central location near the "front" of your layout, maybe closest to the door? Putting in a power "panel" and running permanent extension-type cords from your power outlets within the underneath areas, properly anchored and out of the way for when you have to crawl under the layout to fix something, into the central power "panel" area through a ground-fault connection, will be a big help in the future.  Avoids accidentally having a power plug come off/out of a power outlet, and gives you a central shutoff location should it be needed.

As you fill your room with track, just remember you will have to clean all of it, and, depending on the environment, maybe more often than you might be anticipating.  I avoid a lot of hidden and double-layer approaches because I live in a dusty desert environment when cleaning is needed more than I'd like and it's hard enough to reach track on a single level.

When you get the layout up and running, it would be interesting to have a camera in the "nose" of the lead engine and see the layout from a "cab perspective". Looks like it could be a real treat.
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

mrsax2000

Tom, where's the challenge if there are no hanging wires to dodge?