News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Holbrook & Southampton - 4 x 10 ft

Started by Mariner86, March 27, 2019, 01:50:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mariner86

Have not posted in a long time..please see an update of the Holbrook and Southhampton RR. Comments appreciated.

Tom Springer

Mariner,

You might want to run this through TrainPlayer and see if it operates as you think it does.  One engine heading out via the turntable should be enough. Just let TP run the train around the track and see how it goes.
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

Keesoldscool

And if you don't have a licence for Trainplayer, just follow the tracks. As far as I can see all trains do go in the same direction on one track. Therefore it isn't possible having more then one train on track, because it's not possible to pass anywhere.
Normally the turntable and water-/coalsupply is on the same track. In this plan the locomotives need using the maintrack for changing.
At the inner-circle there is a dead-end up the hill. Very difficult to place cars and shortens the way of parking cars.
Leaving the turntable and go around, you are never able to change the driving direction on the track, only by using the turntable.
Changing cars or locomotives is quiet a job and you always need the main track to do it.
Summery: it looks nice, but it is pointless.

Sorry for the hard words, but my english isn't that gooed, because I'm a native Dutchman

So, I agree with Tom
Grtz. Kees

Tom Springer

Mariner,

Keesoldscool's comments are a good starting point.  There are more things I hope you observe when you run your layout using TrainPlayer.

Generally, I don't like to "tell", just "suggest" because model railroading is a learning hobby; I learn new things all the time, especially learning how much I really don't know.

I don't like to "tell" someone that what they have might not work as they might want; I prefer to just ask questions, maybe even make some suggestions, so they can find the things that are troublesome and learn more in the process.

We all learn as we try things, and using TrainPlayer on a layout, seeing first-hand how it operates and what it actually does, versus what our mind thinks it is supposed to be doing, for me, is always a valuable exercise. I treat TrainPlayer as the simulator for designs done in AnyRail. Design then simulate, refine then simulate some more has always been my approach.  When I get a version that operates as I think it should, then I can move on to using TrainPlayer to check things like the length of tracks in sidings, industry service, etc., so that the number of cars I'm expecting to use has the right trackage for my operations.

A very long-winded way of saying that I really encourage you to try to operate your design(s) and see if they function as you think they do.  Not just the mainline, but sidings, industry service, etc.  I've lost count of the number of times I've found that something I was so sure was "correct" wasn't.  Thankfully I just used up a lot of electrons instead of actually building something physical only to then have to tear it apart to make changes.

Looking forward to your progress and learning something from your efforts.  Your design has a lot of "flavor" in it, and a lot of hard work to add all the "documenting" aspects; the final result will be interesting to see.
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)