News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Heartland N-Trak Club Layout

Started by Vic A, April 26, 2019, 12:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vic A

This is a close iteration of the club layout.  This is built in a room constructed inside a large tractor shed.  It is not finished but the tracks indicated in the drawing are operational.  There are three (3) separate continuous running loops of track.  Red - Yellow - Blue ...   This not a modular setup.
Hard to tell from my drawing here but there is a  6 inch high 'shelf' for the track to cross back over itself.  The Red loop remains at zero elevation.  Blue and yellow ended up with nearly 3% grades.  A six-axle loco struggles and usually stalls with even 8 or ten cars. 

Just thought the forum needed a new file to look at.   Questions and comments welcome.

Have a good evening/morning wherever you are.
Vic

David

Here's a picture of the plan. I like the idea of the runway, albeit it a bit short ;)

So a 3% grade is truly the maximum to use for the kind of engines you operate.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Vic A

Thanks for the image.

One of the new members is building the airport.  He said it was 72" long so I dropped it in.  960 feet is a pretty strip.  It is still in the planning phase.  There is supposed to be a tank farm near the airport as well.  Some stuff will likely get moved around.

On the grades - - - 3% is steep from my point of view.  It works for longer trains but multiple units are required.  Most members just like to watch their engines run around so we're good.

As the building progresses I will update the drawing.  It is a build first process.  I may have taken on the role of Secretary . . . I'll draw what did happen not what will happen.

The Track Planner

Hi Vic,
A few of concerns, from a professional designer, 1) even in N scale I think you have areas where the red (zero elevation) and yellow & blue (elevated) tracks are too close together. Specially, on some of the curves. You may not have enough clearance to even add a vertical wall; 2) the diamond shaped blue yard, may be too short for sorting or storage. As now drawn, the tracks would only hold about eight to ten cars; 3) all three peninsulas have reach-ins in the range of 36". 36" is about the maximum a six foot tall person can reach, even then it is not a comfortable reach; 4) having the future refinery, sitting below the blue track and having to reach-in to couple/uncouple cars could be problematic; 5) on all three lines (yellow/blue & red), I would consider adding more passing sidings, so as to, not cause traffic bottlenecks; and lastly but the most important concern 6) 3% grades, the only times I design 3% grades into a plan is if it is a logging railroad, where 3% was common. If parts of the 3% grades are on curves, you really will have the equivalent of 5% to 6% grades, not 3%! Something to seriously look at before starting construction.

Vic A

Thanks for looking this over Bill. 

Construction is complete.  Most everything depicted in the drawing is complete.  Some areas have ballast applied.  I enjoy working with AR and thought it a neat project to draw.  Again, what I have drawn is very close to actual.  When I have time to visit the clubhouse I will double check and redraw as necessary.  The 2.8 - 3% grades are complete.  They were supposed to be 2% but when the 1 inch foam was added to the shelf brackets it blossomed to 3-ish %. 
It works for what it was intended to do. 

Vic

mrsax2000

Post some pics of the layout please.