News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Block length problem

Started by RCMan, April 26, 2019, 01:40:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

RCMan

In checking the length of a section or block with a turnout(s) included. The length of the turnout is calculated as 2 times longer than the actual length. It seems to be adding both the through and divergent track lengths together.
I have to uncheck the turnout from the section to get the length of the section then manually add the length of the turnout.  I know turnouts normally are not considered part of a block, but sometime the track design has to have the turnouts included.

Using Peco HO Streamline Code 100 track.
Dennis
Bonham Texas

David

Which turnout are you talking about? Normally, the total track length of a turnout should be just the addition of the elements it consists of, without any doubles.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

RCMan

Just add the information.
The problem is if I double click to get all the pieces of track in the section including the turnouts, I cannot set the turnout just to give me the length connected with the rest of the section. If I just click on the turnout through or diverge only the length of each is shown correctly, but cannot do that trying to figure out the total length of a section.

Dennis
Do that make sense?
Dennis
Bonham Texas

David

OK, I see. What you could do is select the stretch by clicking the correct leg of the turnout first, and then SHIFT-click the other end of the stretch. The program should highlight the stretch and display its length on the status bar.

As a section is, by the program's definition, an isolated bit of the layout, it will simply display its total track length and always include the total turnout length, as both legs of the turnout cannot be isolated from each other.

The best solution, as you indicated, is to not allow turnouts in sections (or 'blocks'), but I can imagine this is not always achievable.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.