News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Rolling Stock & Locos.

Started by BNSFrrFan, June 02, 2019, 04:39:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BNSFrrFan

Are there rolling stock & Loco images/files I can add to my RR? I've seen on users layouts. I'm building a N scale layout with sidings. Rolling stock would help with judging lengths. Thx, David

Tom Springer

What scale and type are you looking for?  I have a few from TrainPlayer converted to AnyRail N-scale objects in my personal library.  If you are just using the image for sampling and not precise measurements, they would work.

Most of the time, you might want to use TrainPlayer to check lengths with various cars populating your layout.  Just remember to factor in the correct length(s) for whatever is your choice of scale coupler for cars.  Personally, in N-scale, using MTL couplers, I use a 1/4inch measurement for couplers, adjusting the cars in my TrainPlayer libraries accordingly.

Also keep in mind that a "40 foot boxcar", for example, is more than 40 feet in the prototype world.
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

Bob Bryce

I have built my own set of rolling stock in TrainPlayer based on the actual rolling stock I have on my layout by inserting a TrainPlayer car closest to the one I have and setting it's length by measuring my actual car length from coupler to coupler.  I identify the car with it's road name/number.  The same with all of my locomotives. For steam engines, I ensure the combined length of the locomotive and tender are the same as my actual items.

I ignore how long a prototype car is, I am only interested in the exact lengths of the ones on my actual layout. When I built trains to test passing siding lengths, yard spur lengths, track separation distances, bridge clearances and turnout clearances, I found them to be EXTREMELY accurate after comparing it to my actual layout. 

If I had a problem in TrainPlayer, I had the problem on my layout.  If it worked in TrainPlayer, it always worked on my layout.  It even identified how many cars I can put on a passing siding and a industry siding and testing how and when signals were to activate with really great accuracy.  It took a little work, but it paid off in the long run by not having to tear track apart and re-design on the fly because of a fitment problem.