News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Is the problem here or in Trainplayer?

Started by tony22, April 08, 2009, 12:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tony22

I've tried importing AnyRail layouts into Trainplayer (both at the current latest version). The layouts seem to import okay, but there are many artifacts, mostly with the turnouts. It seems that an excessive number of red and green dots get generated for each turnout. And there also seem to be occasional very fine line circles that are tied to the trackage, which actually seem to be spurious trackage that does not exist in the AnyRail file. Is this a problem with the source files or with Trainplayer?

David

Hi Tony,

Could you please post the track plan either here, or send it in an email?
I'll then discuss it with the TrainPlayer guys.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Chris

Hi Tony.

I just gave up with Train Player. I didn't have much problem with turnouts but it made a real mess of double slips. It also (once) drew the rails OK but the track centre line was as in a previous version of my layout. I contacted Jim about the double slip problem and he suggested editing the track plan in Train Player but that defeats the whole object of the exercise. This was a while back so I guess I should try again, just in case there had been a fix.

Best wishes,
Chris.
Chris
N & Z Home PageBahnhof Breitenfurt – Ost

Marklin Z scale Bavarian S3/6___________________

tony22

Dave, the plan is being emailed. Once in Trainplayer you'll notice a very fine red line that seems to actually be considered a piece of track (which is not on the original plan). Also, try switching various turnouts a number of times. You should see red and green squares popping up all over the place.

David

Thanks Tony,

Jim Dill of TrainPlayer is investigating it. I'll keep you informed!

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

tony22

Thanks David. I was unhappy when I saw Chris comment about giving up on Trainplayer. As much as I love AnyRail, the ability to Import .any files into Trainplayer was a factor in deciding to buy it.

jimdill

Hi AnyRail users,

I have been meaning to investigate Chris's layout and post a detailed reply here, but distractions have gotten in the way so instead I have a fuzzy reply for now. 

Most everything that goes wrong with the AnyRail->TP conversion is our fault.  Our code makes assumptions about the way parts fit together, derived empirically from a small sample.  When there are custom parts or non-standard assemblies, conversions don't come out right.  I would be happy to bore you with the complexity of this process, but instead let me just say that we are planning to improve the process over time as long as there are guys like you trying to use it.

In this case, there are a couple of issues which are not entirely our fault.  In the first place, the layout is drawn onto the default document page, and there is a lot of white space beyond the track limits.  This causes various problems, the worst being that points along flex tracks are relatively close together and can sometimes overlap.  I recommend you reduce the work area.  In the original layout it was 168 x 300.  I changed it to 168 x 90.

In the second place, there seem to be some areas (like the hidden curves at the northeast) where the sectional track does not seem to be strictly circular.  TP deposits circular curves, and they don't quite fit together, so you end up with a saw-tooth arrangement.  I'm not sure what can be done about this, except to make sure your curve sections are fitted tightly together to give true circular curves.

Red and green lights popping up all over are the result of faulty switch constructions or switches on curves, which can get easily damaged if you try to edit them.

Further investigations are underway.  Don't give up on us yet.

-- Jim, TrainPlayer

Chris

Thank you for your comprehensive reply Jim. It is a long while since I wrote to you about the problems I was having and I am delighted that they are being addressed as I have far more ambitious plans for that particular track plan, but in N scale. Part of the reason I gave up was because I have been extremely busy getting the layout up to exhibition standard between working on the house and its surroundings, practising for concerts, etc. I look forward to the outcome of your labours and will try it all again when you update the program. My layout has changed a bit since I sent the files to you but is still substantially the same. I have appended the latest version (though the branch line has still to be fixed).

With best wishes,
Chris.
Chris
N & Z Home PageBahnhof Breitenfurt – Ost

Marklin Z scale Bavarian S3/6___________________

tony22

My thanks as well Jim. Your explanation would seem to apply to many of the same problems I had with my layout and TP. I hope they can be resolved some time soon.