News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

New trackplan N scale

Started by Peter Buyk, September 15, 2019, 01:43:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Buyk

Here is a new trackplan in N scale that is based on the trackplan of Rien de Koning that you can find here on the examplespage of AR

The measurements are 300 cm x 100 cm

Constructive criticism and improvements are welcome
N-300-100-Fleischmann-3.anyN-300-100-Fleischmann-3.jpg

Keesoldscool

Hello Peter,

I should change the turnoutsection at the right uppercorner to the fiddleyard and main track. Also consider changing the turnouttype 22251/22253 into 22303/22301 at the main track.
Grtz. Kees

mrsax2000

What (why) is the inside track in the top half of the plan? 

It also has a small "S" at the left end.  I've never been a fan of short "S" tracks.  Trains don't look particularly good traveling over them and they can cause operational issues.

A long sweeping "S" through scenery looks great.

Maybe removing the "S", and add a turnout on the left side to connect to the fiddle yard.

If the sectional track is forcing the "S", consider some flex track. Or possibly modifying the track. I've seen videos of Kato track cut to fit odd spaces. One even cut several places on a straight so it could be "flexed".

mrsax2000

Your plan lends itself to a scenic divider. I'm a big fan of these for oval layouts. Makes it seem larger and hides the fact a train is chasing it's tail.

Tom Springer

Peter,

Attached is a marked-up version of your layout.  The "X" items are track that isn't aligned as noted by AnyRail's small red lines down the track centerline.  You might use the Smooth Flex option to get the track adjusted by AnyRail to remove the problems there.

The "S" items are additional s-curves that you might want to look at; depending on the speed of your train through these areas, derailments could occur.

Now for the "A" and "B" markings; you run in only one direction (no provision for reversing direction).  So either A or B must have a train enter there by running head-first; is this what you want?  If not, presuming you run counter-clockwise, the B track area could be reversed or made double-ended, so the train could pass through the area and not need to back out.

Have you considered a reversing section so you aren't forever running in just one direction?

If information on your industry choices and locations, era, DC or DCC, and what scenery/terrain you are looking to add, was available then other suggestions might be possible.  How closely in terms of industries and scenery are you planning on following the Rien de Koning layout?
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

mrsax2000

I noticed you have a mix of flex and sectional.  You might want to switch to all sectional, to ensure the tracks align.

Tom's prior post mentioned places where the tracks are not aligning.

If you switch to all sectional, Anyrail will force you to use track pieces that align. 

After everything is aligned, you can then replace portions with flex.