News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

My Next Track Plan

Started by Bob Bryce, March 01, 2013, 12:33:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bob Bryce

After a LOT of work I am starting to see progress on the upper level. 

I printed the track plan for both the outer mountain rail and the passenger rail at 1:1, taped it all together and used it to mark the position of the foam risers.  Then I pinned the risers in position and laid the paper track on top to verify the foam was in the correct locations.  Then I laid the real track (temporary) over the paper track and tested my engines pulling up the 4% right side slope.  My weakest locomotive (Bachmann GP40) pulled at least 16 cars without a whimper.  I even stopped the train in the middle of the grade and it pulled out fine.  I did have 2 areas that showed coupler misalignment on the slope transitions to the point where they tried to uncouple the cars.

I marked these locations and glued down the risers.   Because I was using foam risers, I bought some Woodland Scenics Foam Putty and filled the problem transition areas and sanded them to an almost perfect slope change.  Then I re-laid the temporary track to test the slope transitions for any area that even came close to showing a coupler misalignment.  After that, the couplers hardly even moved out of position as the train started and finished transitioning any of the slopes.  To further achieve a smooth slope transition, I cut and glued 1/8" foam board on top of the Woodland Scenics risers in 4' long segments.  This further improved the transitions and also provided a solid surface to lay the roadbed to. 

This evening I started gluing down the roadbed, then I will be sanding the roadbed and painting it.  After that I can lay the track for the last time.  The bridge is in position for a final fit-up once the roadbed makes it up to the bridge.  It's a 44" bridge span.  I'm not sure yet if there will be any roadbed on the bridge itself or not.  I can decide that when I get ready for the final fit-up of the bridge.  Here are some photos, pardon the mess.

Bob Bryce

I'm now a happy camper!  ;D   I have the first of six railroads on my layout up and fully running, including roadbed and track, bridges, slope transitions, DCC connections, Block Detection devices, signals, one engine yard and DCC remote control of all the turnouts!  Lots of work went into the slope transitions and I have had practically zero coupler misalignments when entering and exiting the sloped grades.  The two times I did have uncoupling issues were found to be due to the Bachmann plastic shaft couplers.  Replaced them with Kadee and everything worked fine.  Only 5 more railroads to go on the layout! Since it took 6 years to actually get to this point, including planning the layout, revising it 400 times, building the framework and finally getting started, I hope it does not take 30 years to build the others!!! :P

Bob Bryce

One interesting issue I did have was it appeared that pulling a train of 5 cars up one of my grades was overloading the electrical system, as the light bulb in my CP-6 current limiter was glowing bright.  Turned out it was only happening when I ran my Bowser F7 Diesels.  I replaced them with other locomotives and was able to pull over 15 cars up the same grade without a single hint of a glowing light bulb.  Even the Big Boy worked flawlessly.  It looks like I either need to only use the Bowser's on flat track or get rid of them.  I have 3 of them and all 3 show the same problem.  Anyone else have problems with Bowser diesels?  Thought they were a really good brand.

Not sure if it is the gears, motors, decoders or a combination.  Running by themselves with no cars, they each work, but I cannot pull 4 cars up even a 2% grade without having a second sun glowing under my layout (the CP-6 bulb) and cannot even consist them together as they drop track voltage so low, the just sputter.

Bob Bryce

It's been about a year and a half since I posted any progress on my railroad, so I thought I'd share my progress.  It's been coming slowly, especially after needing to rip out over half of the risers due to my stupid mistake, but that is all done and the new risers are in, the tracks are all laid, wired, tested and have had trains running for over 3 months  error free.  Don't get the wrong impression, there were several places I needed to rip out the track to correct problems, mostly problems that caused uncoupling, not derailments.  It's amazing what s very slight dip in the track, almost unseen when looking at it, will cause an extremely long pair of cars to uncouple, as was the case on the passenger line.  Not to mention where the train entered and exited large grades.  But that is all fixed now, and after running the trains for several months, I am looking forward to ballasting soon.

I sent all 3 diesels back to Bowser to see if they could find out why they were working the way they were.  Bowser determined it was the motors in the units.  Bowser had stopped installing these motors quite a few years ago.  I had not realized how long I had these locos in storage before actually using them.  Even though I had them for so long, Bowser replaced the motors in all 3 diesels for no charge, sent them back to me for no charge and even refunded my shipping to get them to Bowser in the first place.  They all work great now, pull great and are speed matched for consisting.  Really happy with Bowser.

All of the turnouts that are in are wired for signals and DCC remote control.  As I progress into landscaping and installing small railroad sheds near each turnout, each shed will have an ID number decaled on it,like an address.  The number will actually correspond with the turnout ID I need to select with my DCC cab to operate the turnout.

For testing track voltages to make sure all my feeders are doing their job, I bought a RRamp meter, which accurately reads DCC voltages.  I installed powered trucks on a flat car and installed the RRamp meter on the flat car.  I just pull the flat car around the railroad and watch the voltage it displays. 

I posted some photos and the track plans for the upper and lower levels.  I also hope others will start to post photos of their layouts, ideas and progress, even if just in Anyrail.  I have completed most of the upper level main lines, but none of the yards or sidings.  Have not started the lower level yet.