News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Cannot move item to another layer

Started by donone, September 04, 2019, 08:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donone

Latest version.
I have been away a long time and have selected an old layout, simply three baseboard pieces and two layers. None are locked.
Two baseboards are on Layer Base and one on Layer Two. I am on Layer Two, select the baseboard on that layer then select Layer Base then deselect the Baseboard.
I expected it now to be on Layer Base.
It does not move to Layer Base, all items remain on their original layers.
Their positions are easily provable by altering visibility. Nothing I do will seem to alter it. When Layer two is locked it clearly shows the selected board with red pip not green further proving where it is. I can lock the layer making the item imoveable.
What am I missing?
You only stop learning when you die.
Sometimes I think I am dead.

David

Do you select the target layer on the menu at the top, and for the correct item type?

If you select something, a specific top menu appears. For instance, when you select track, a menu labeled 'TRACK' appears. You'll see a green indicator saying 'TOOLS' above it.

When you select a target layer from this menu, only the items of the given type will be moved.
To move everything, first open the 'SELECTION' tab, that appears when you select items of more than one type, such as track and surfaces.

Here is an explanation with pictures:
Moving items to another layer
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

donone

Thank you for your reply. The first thing I did when having the problem was to read the Help, (which you have now pointed me to).
I can see now (on closer viewing) when looking at the Layer drop down that it was not the one I was using. Mine was on a sidebar and did not work. The one on the topbar does work (shown in Help).
All I had was Surfaces and so the selection under Tools was correct.

I am therefore wondering what the sidebar dropdown is for and why it does not duplicate the actions of the topbar dropdown.
You only stop learning when you die.
Sometimes I think I am dead.

David

I think the one on the 'side bar' is the Layers pane.

This is used to lock layers, switch them on or off, or to rename, add and delete layers.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.