News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Loading Images to Surfaces

Started by emthornber, September 22, 2019, 10:51:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

emthornber

I create a surface and load a map image.  I set the size of the image so that the scale printed on the map matches the scale distance.  So far so good.  I now want to crop the image to select just the area I'm interested in.  I've tried setting the coordinates of the corners of the surface and I've tried 'Adjust outline' (Tools | Surfaces | Image |) but the image moves within the boundaries of the surface to keep the centre of the image in the centre of the surface.

Is there a way to put a view port over the surface/image so that I can select just the area I'm interested in ?

or, alternatively, make the surface the viewport and move the image relative to the surface ?

TIA
--
MarkT

David

At the moment this is not possible. Indeed, the image is centered in the surface's area.
The only solution now is to crop the image before loading it onto the surface.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

emthornber

... but if I crop before loading image I lose the ability to scale.  Hey ho - I'll just have to live with it.  Thx for quick response.

David

You can always scale the picture in AnyRail by setting the desired width and height.

David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

emthornber

Yes - I know I can scale the image but ...

I have a PNG of an OS 25inch sheet that has a scale along the bottom showing feet.  I want to scale the image such that 2mm in the Anyrail drawing corresponds to 1 foot.  So I create a ruler 1000 mm long and then mess with the width (in sync with height) until the scale on the map matches the ruler. (In Fusion 360 this is done using the 'calibrate' option for a Canvas.) . As luck would have it the area of interest is the the top of the map sheet and the scale is at the bottom.  Hence my question re view ports.