News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Cut or Snip Track Length

Started by clevedale, November 16, 2019, 01:37:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

clevedale

Some O Gauge Track Manufacturers such as Ross and Gargraves Don't offer 1/2 or 1/3 sections of their curves. It would be great if snipping or cutting a piece of sectional track was an option.

Thanks

Nick the Cabin Boy

It would be useful, I agree, but I find it just as easy to make a piece of flex of the required dimensions in AR, and then (if I was still using fixed track) cut a piece accordingly.  Might it not be easier to do that anyway, if flex is available from your manufacturer?  (I don't know O, I'm in N!)

Cheers,

Nick the Nomad
Approaching the end of the wandering, in New Norfolk, Tasmania
Elizabeth Grove, South Australia
Building Pottersbridge, a fictional town a little North of London, served by a fictional Heritage Railway, in N

clevedale

Thanks for the suggestion. Id rather have the option of snipping track with a couple of mouse clicks as I can in SCARM.

Nick the Cabin Boy

When I was using fixed track (Peco Setrack in N), I created a layout using only what there was, which gave me sufficient  flexibility for what I wanted to do.  I wouldn't actually have set out to use Setrack in the first place, except that my wife had the idea of building a model village which happened to include a railway, in N, while I was using Streamline in OO.  When we had to move house, I had no room to stay with OO, so my wife suggested I use her stuff to build a small layout on an old door. The rest is history!

When we find (soon I hope) a new place to live after three plus years of caravanning, I expect to have a reasonable space for a layout, so then the creative juices will flow! The Setrack will be pensioned off, as I find that the curve of the points is too sharp to be realistic.

You could also try another idea that has appeared on this forum.  Make up the curves that you want using flex, and put them in an out-of-the-way spot on your plan.  When you require one, copy and paste whatever you need.  This might have to do until David includes the facility you want.

If you read through this forum, you will notice that David, as owner and chief designer/coder of AnyRail, is usually very receptive to ideas such as yours, and simple ideas are often implemented pretty quickly.

Cheers,

Nick the Nomad
Ten days to go
Elizabeth Grove, South Australia
Building Pottersbridge, a fictional town a little North of London, served by a fictional Heritage Railway, in N

clevedale

Quote from: Nick the Nomad on November 23, 2019, 10:59:01 AMYou could also try another idea that has appeared on this forum.  Make up the curves that you want using flex, and put them in an out-of-the-way spot on your plan.  When you require one, copy and paste whatever you need.  This might have to do until David includes the facility you want.

Nice workaround Nick. After using this procedure and saving a "template" with my custom pieces it's not any harder than snipping track.