News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Deleting old User Object Libraries

Started by C.R. Wagus, January 04, 2020, 09:03:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.R. Wagus

Recently I have been creating new User Objects and redoing some older User Objects.  In order to regroup items such as buildings or modular groupings, I have decided to use a series of new User Object Libraries.  This has resulted in some of the old libraries being 'emptied'.  How do I delete the old libraries?

Thanks in advance for your assistance.
Carl

Tom Springer

Carl,

The User Objects folder structure (repository) is this:

The master (parent) folder is the one you see when using the Objects->User Objects function.  One easy way to get to this folder is to use Objects->User Objects, then right-click on this folder name, choose Properties, and in the pop-up box, use the mouse to select the name and copy it to the clipboard.  This way it doesn't matter if your 'AppData' directory in this chain of folders is hidden or not, you capture the whole name chain.  Then close AnyRail and open the captured folder name in Windows.  (I prefer to have AnyRail not running when doing this.)

Now, within this (depository) folder there is one folder for each scale.  Within each scale folder, you find a sub-folder for each user object "library" associated with that scale.  For example, one would be N->Walthers

Delete the library folder(s) as you want.
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

Nick the Cabin Boy

Tom,

I might even try this myself, but I do see a slight problem.  If you, at a later time, decide to re-download User Objects, you're going to re-get all the folders you deleted.  I have previously asked for a choice in what is downloaded, but it hasn't happened yet!  I only model/plan in N, so I only need/want N objects.  Apart from anything else, my mobile broadband, with which I am stuck for the foreseeable future, seems to struggle with the amount of data when downloading User Objects (not to mention that I only have 45Gb per month!)

Cheers,
Nick the Nomad
Now semi-permanently settled in Geelong
Elizabeth Grove, South Australia
Building Pottersbridge, a fictional town a little North of London, served by a fictional Heritage Railway, in N

Tom Springer

Thought Carl wanted to delete just the libraries he created for his own objects.

Hopefully, your request for selection controls on downloading happens someday.

Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

David

You should be careful changing the user objects folder. If things end up in the wrong place, the program might not be able to find them back.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

C.R. Wagus

Thanks guys!  I'll give it a try when I'm done making changes.

Carl