News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Create Precise Surface

Started by PolarBear123, January 06, 2020, 07:29:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PolarBear123

Hey guys,
I just read through the manual but still could not find the answer. My simple quick question - how do I create a surface with exact values so I can specify my table on which my Modelleisenbahnanlage (I don't know how that's called in englisch) is going to be. WHen I draw a surface, I can't do the exact centimeters with my mouse. So, when I create x/y points, how do I connect these all together to create a surface/working area (it is not a rectangle I'm talking about, my surface is more like a rectangle with the top left corner "chewed off" and some other "outings")?
Thank you!

Tom Springer

Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

RCMan

Above post is good, also go to "SETTINGS" and check the box that says "SNAP to grid" then the box below that set your snap resolution you want to use.

Dennis
Dennis
Bonham Texas

Tom Springer

Just realize that sometimes 'Snap to Grid' can work against you, especially if the snap value is too large.  If the snap value was 6, for example, and you were trying to set a coordinate to a point that was not an even multiple of 6, snap might move ("jump") the coordinate from the exact point you are trying to position it at.  I generally would leave 'Snap to Grid' off when setting explicit coordinates to avoid any issues.
Tom Springer

RCMan

Quote from: Tom Springer on January 06, 2020, 11:19:24 PMJust realize that sometimes 'Snap to Grid' can work against you, especially if the snap value is too large.  If the snap value was 6, for example, and you were trying to set a coordinate to a point that was not an even multiple of 6, snap might move ("jump") the coordinate from the exact point you are trying to position it at.  I generally would leave 'Snap to Grid' off when setting explicit coordinates to avoid any issues.

I change the "Snap to grid" value many times in one file. It helps me to get the resolution needed. Just have to remember to change the value back after you are done.

Default = 1" for table top.
Make an object = 1/8" or 1/16" or smaller depending on the resolution needed.

Dennis
Dennis
Bonham Texas

Future-Digital

Same here. Easy to change. Problem is to remember that you changed it when you need something else.
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx

Tom Springer

My comment about 'Snap to Grid' was because of the example I included in the referenced post.  Once all the coordinates are set in place, then one goes back and clicks on the coordinate ("point") to change the type to "curved".  With 'Snap to Grid' active, the possibility exists that as one clicks on that coordinate, the 'point' might move slightly.  I see it happen too much to suit me.

Each of us does things differently.
Tom Springer

PolarBear123

Quote from: RCMan on January 07, 2020, 12:51:57 PMI change the "Snap to grid" value many times in one file. It helps me to get the resolution needed. Just have to remember to change the value back after you are done.

Default = 1" for table top.
Make an object = 1/8" or 1/16" or smaller depending on the resolution needed.

Dennis
I am more accustomed to centimeters coming from Germany. If I have set up my measurements as metric, would that mean that everywhere in the entire software, every box which asks me for a number, such as height, snap to grid, tolerances asks me for a number in centimeters? So, for example, when I say height is 8 is that eight centimeters?

I just want to clarify because when you say 1/8 of inch do you mean I should input that? And would 1/8 inch which is 0.3175 centimeters be the number the box wants, or is there a unified measurement system in the software?

Thanks so much!

Tom Springer

Quote from: PolarBear123 on January 07, 2020, 11:00:00 PMI am more accustomed to centimeters coming from Germany. If I have set up my measurements as metric, would that mean that everywhere in the entire software, every box which asks me for a number, such as height, snap to grid, tolerances asks me for a number in centimeters? So, for example, when I say height is 8 is that eight centimeters?

Yes.
Tom Springer

David

Yes, the units you choose are used throughout.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

C.R. Wagus

The responses given above are all correct and helpful.  However, several mention not to forget to reset the grid after use.  I find this to be a problem also as I am very forgetful.  I find it more convenient to draw my surface with randomly located points in the rough shape I desire.  You can turn on the grid DISPLAY if you wish to get the points approximately in the right place.  I then click on a point and adjust its' coordinates to the exact spot I want.

Let's say I have set my measurement system to metric with centimeters as the base unit.  Since the coordinates are referenced to the upper left corner of the work area (0,0), I might chose to put my image upper left point at X=1, Y=1 to get a first point 1 centimeter from the edge of my work area.  (Be sure to use "move point" and not "move surface")  Suppose I want my upper image boundary to be 100.2 centimeters.  Click on the upper right image point and enter x=101.2, y=1 to precisely locate this point.  Continue in this manner until all points on your image are correctly located.

The precisely located image can easily be edited or manipulated in the same manner.  Use move surface to move the image in the work area.  Click on a point an chose "add a point" to change the outline.  I also use this method to build more complicated images such as User Objects, terrain features like lakes, etc.  Placing a chimney or a skylight on a roof is much easier this way than using "snap to grid".  Give it a try.  It is good to have more than one technique in your tool box.

Carl

PolarBear123

Thanks guys, I got it. I just made a rough outline rectangle then I clicked each point and put in the exact x-y coordinates.