News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Bernina/Glacier express layout - comments appreciated

Started by pallinor, February 15, 2020, 06:05:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pallinor

Hello
Attached is my first track plan using Anyrail. I returned to this hobby just over two years ago after a very long break, when asked to assist a friend building his layout and it naturally motivated me to start planning my own. That was interesting as it was my first time with DCC. I looked at this software early last year and began reading any following the forum. I purchased Anyrail in September and began the slow process leading to the attached first draft.
This U shaped layout is based on the Bernina/Glacier express and SBB lines and is designed to fit to the sizes of the extruded polystyrene board I have access to. It is built using Kato Unitrack and is essentially passenger orientated with small freight operation. I have included an ability to expand the layout if I choose, but there is plenty of work in building this. The expansion if I get that far would be for SBB freight and include a proper yard.
The design includes:
•   Single track operations with a passing siding
•   Multiple track operations
•   Two reverse loops
•   A maximum reach of 600mm(2ft) to any part of the layout
Following consistent comments on other threads I have run this extensively through TrainPlayer, watched lots of YouTube videos and made any obvious tweaks.
I would appreciate any constructive criticism and feedback. Thank you in advance for your support and comments.

Tom Springer

You've obviously done your research.  And your description is well done.

There are more than 2 reverse loops, electrically speaking.  Unfortunately, AnyRail doesn't (yet) show all at once.  As a result, you'll have a very complex wiring situation.  And as a beginning layout, knowing wiring isn't as easy as it seems, maybe that should be complex2.

You might try this: disconnect one end of the circular reversing loop track at the upper left of the layout that passes through the scenic divider.  This will then help focus on the other reverse loops.  One by one, disconnect one end of each and see what AnyRail then reports for reverse loops.

These loops, as designed, may be hard to wire, so leave some of these in place, but not completely connected as you first build your layout; then with the base layout wired correctly and operational, go back and see about connecting those other loops one-by-one.  And hopefully, using DCC, you'll have already divided the layout into multiple power blocks, each having it's own circuit breaker protection, so any electrical short will be easier to find.

There are a lot of those 20210 double crossovers that can make wiring difficult; you might try substituting straight tracks for some of these to get your layout wired and up and running, then come back and see if you need all of them.  As someone who is vastly guilty of over-engineering my first layouts, I learned a lesson the hard way - sometimes less is better, at least in the beginning.

Lastly, some of the curves (249mm) may be too small for passenger equipment; I've always thought that 282mm was the smallest radii that passenger equipment could run successfully on.

Good luck.  Hopefully as you build the layout, if you can make videos of your progress and share what you've learned with others on YouTube, you can help others get knowledge and better our hobby.
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

pallinor

Tom, thank you for the comments and suggestions. This will not be the first layout I have built, just the first using AnyRail. My two biggest concerns are me being a bit rusty, its been a very long time since the last layout I built myself and electrical wiring is probably my weakest skill set.
I tried your suggestion for disconnecting one end of each of the reverse loops top left and bottom right, AnyRail then reported no reverse loops. Regardless of this I will follow your advice when building these sections and in relation to the 20210 crossovers. This is the most complex layout I have conceived and the greatest challenge. This layout is the long-term objective, I have a number of subset designs with associated power blocks that build up to this. I will be building each in turn very carefully and slowly, thoroughly researching each challenge and listening to advice that is given.
I will test the 249mm curves with the passenger equipment I have to see how it goes
I will give some thought to the video suggestion.  Thank you again.

Tom Springer

Just disconnect one reverse loop at a time so AR can tell you what it sees with that one loop "removed". Then iterate the process.

No matter how long anyone has been doing model railroads, no one finds wiring easy, especially the impact on their back.

Putting a trace of the tracks on the underside of the layout, so when feeder wires drop down you can see what is what also helps.

Have fun.
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

pallinor

Attached is the modified version of my Rhatische Bahn/SBB N gauge layout. Following Tom's recommendation, I have replaced all the 249mm curves with 282mm curves. This was simple for the return loop in the top left of the layout and a little more difficult for imitating the Brusio spiral viaduct in the bottom right of the layout. It is now much closer to the layout edge than I would like even with the planned edge of acrylic Perspex to guard against derailments. On the positive side I have increased the grade with the larger curve to be a little bit more representative of the original though still nothing like the real seven-degree grade.

RCMan

Quote from: pallinor on February 18, 2020, 03:43:29 AMAttached is the modified version of my Rhatische Bahn/SBB N gauge layout. Following Tom's recommendation, I have replaced all the 249mm curves with 282mm curves. This was simple for the return loop in the top left of the layout and a little more difficult for imitating the Brusio spiral viaduct in the bottom right of the layout. It is now much closer to the layout edge than I would like even with the planned edge of acrylic Perspex to guard against derailments. On the positive side I have increased the grade with the larger curve to be a little bit more representative of the original though still nothing like the real seven-degree grade.

Nice layout.

If you want to see the layout as it would be built, take the three section areas you defined and click the "Table Top" box on each section. Then look at it in 3D mode.

You might see a possible problem on the right side.

Dennis
Dennis
Bonham Texas

RhB_HJ

Lots of track, actually too much track, to represent that part of Switzerland!

25 years ago we designed and built a RhB layout for a client. That had to have enough action AND include SBB trackage, but the RhB being the focal point, including the GEX and the BEX.

That cut the possibilities since it also needed to be realistic.
But that was back in the days when I hadn't "gotten around" to learning CADrail, yet.

As far as action was concerned: Chur with the SBB & RhB arriving from staging (up through a double track Standard Gauge HO 16.5mm and 12mm HOm helix), the RhB started in earnest at Chur and proceeded to Reichenau, after the big bridge the line divided to the Engadin (down to Staging through a helix). That part could simulate the traffic "Landquart, Chur, Reichenau, Filisur, Davos, Landquart".
BTW there was double track between Chur and Reichenau (LH traffic)
The Vorderrhein Line went also into the helix after the bridge, but climbed up to Somvix-Compadials (last station before Disentis) and then on to Disentis where the RhB ends and the MGB (formerly FO) starts.
Unfortunately the layout got torched by vandals — along with the rest of the vacation home.
Still on hand are pictures and the hand drawn track plan.

It was designed in my usual "less can be a lot more" fashion. ;)  ;) But the electrics were walk-around with our own throttles and four cab selections.
Yes, it was a multi-level layout, other than staging and the the helix portions everything was out in the open (visible) and easily reached.
Hans-Joerg Mueller
Coldstream, BC   Canada

http://www.rhb-grischun.ca

My train videos

Win7Pro 64bit; 8 GB RAM; i5 2.67GHz; 1920x1080 22" display