News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

reverse loop wiring etc

Started by vvarady, February 17, 2020, 04:46:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vvarady

Hi,
Looking for Tom Springer (member) who has helped me with this a while ago.
Couldn't figure how to send attachment in direct message section.

Does this look OK ?

Thx
VicDiamond Wiring.jpg

Tom Springer

Vic,

It's a bit more complicated that what's in your image.  I want to suggest you change the .Any file, replacing the crossovers with 2 individual straight track segments, to help simply the view; then post it.   That would allow working through everything in pieces, and using layers to help illustrate things.

However ... here's the bad news ... I will be unavailable starting Mon Feb 16th at 6pm Phoenix Az time (Phoenix is UTC-7 year-round) for some weeks for surgery and extended recovery .  If you post something before 2pm (UTC 9pm) Mon, I may see it, otherwise I'm not sure when I'll be back on the forum...

If you need an urgent answer, I'll let others on the forum work on getting you one.

Take care.
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

Future-Digital

Hey, TOM!

A shout out for GOOD LUCK and a QUICK RECOVERY!

From one whom you helped immensely.

Bill
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx

Tom Springer

Vic,

I'll have to leave you with this.  Attached is your image with my marking.
Diamond Wiring.png
The green circles: are you trying to connect 2 tracks each to each of the AR-1 connections?  Can't do that.

Second, reverse loop switching occurs as a short circuit an is supposed to be 'instantaneous". It works because the engine's front wheels cross the extremely small gap created by the isolator connecting the rails.  Trying this across an un-powered frog - not sure that can be done in a reliable manner because of the length of this 'gap'.  And every now and then because of manufacturing, the isolated frogs actually short circuit themselves.  I use only Peco Electrofrogs (actually make that did, my layout and equipment have found a new home).

With that said, I'll leave it to others from here out.  See you sometime.
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

vvarady

Well first of all good luck and a quick recovery. I hope all is well.
You have always been very helpful and generous with your time spent on my issues.

Thx
Vic

vvarady

The diagram below from DCC Wiki shows how to wire up a live frog crossing (e.g. a Peco Electrofrog Diamond Crossing) with an auto reverser feeding the frogs. The lightning bolts represent a train arriving on the other route and causing a short circuit. This auto reverser detects this short and flips the polarity to allow the train to proceed.

I think my wiring of the dead frog Atlas 2564 as in the Diamond Wiring with Diamond JPG.jpg
gives you the equivalent of a live frog Atlas 2564 as in  CrossingAutoReverse.gif .

Any comments greatly appreciated.

Thx