News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Zooming in to view small details

Started by C.R. Wagus, May 04, 2020, 06:30:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

C.R. Wagus

I enjoy creating user objects that are as detailed as possible.  My N scale user objects require very small details such as sidewalk bricks.  A typical brick might be 4" high by 8" wide.  I set the settings for the grid to 0.375" (5') and the grid size to 0.025" (4").  This allows me to insert a box at 0.025" x 0.025" and another at 0.025" by 0.050".  I can use the snap to grid feature to accurately place bricks in a staggered fashion to create a sidewalk.  When I have placed the bricks as desired, I group my assembly to retain larger sections.  I am building a user object library based on components that are 5' by 5'.  If I want to create a city block with brick sidewalks, I can use the grid snap feature to place 5' sections next to each other to get a full block long sidewalk.  Works great!

However, when working with such small items it is sometimes difficult to view the creations even when my screen view is zoomed in to the maximum.  At full zoom,the 0.025" grid lines are very close and this makes aligning objects difficult.  Is there a relationship between the file scale setting and the amount of zoom available?  Is there a way to increase the zoom capability?  I set my object grip size to 0.001" for locating small objects but it is still difficult to see what I'm doing accurately.  My eyes are not what they were 75 years ago.  Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can enhance the zooming feature?

C.R. Wagus

Future-Digital

In a situation where the grid actually get in the way of seeing the objects, I do my work, then change the grid to something wider. Then the grid doesn't seem to block so much. Sometimes I just turn the grid OFF.
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx

C.R. Wagus

Thank you David for your quick response.  The problem is not really the grid obscuring the object.  In order to be able to align very small items with others (i.e., joining two 5' square objects with each other to make a 10' sidewalk),  it is difficult to use the grid at this point because the program may show only some of the grid.  You think you are snapping to a 0.025" grid line but it is really a 0.050" grid spacing because the program has chosen not to show all grid lines at certain zoom levels.  If you go to maximum zoom in, all lines show but some of the object may be off screen.  I have been selecting the object first, going to maximum zoom and then using the snap to grid feature to align the objects.  This does work for larger objects but is cumbersome (i.e., joining two sidewalk sections).

The real problem occurs when building the sidewalk sections from individual bricks.  A half brick is 0.025" square (4" x 4" in N scale).  Even with the grip points set at 0.001" they almost obscure the lines of the square.  A 0.025" diameter circle is even worse.  When trying to drag the object to the grid line, you often end up dragging only one corner instead of the object.  Very frustrating! The object is being obscured by the corner grips, not the grid lines.  One additional zoom level would probably help.

Thanks,
Carl