News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Breitefurt (my first layout)

Started by Chris, May 17, 2009, 12:19:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

Chris,

Just noticed something you may want to address- the two photos in the Sept. 5 post really should be flipped in position (second->first) in order to show the backgrounds in proper relation. On the other issue, I don't see any links but the ones that have been there all along.
Later,                                                AnyRail Fanatic
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

Chris

Hi Jeff.
Quote from: Jeff on December 13, 2010, 01:30:11 PM
Just noticed something you may want to address- the two photos in the Sept. 5 post really should be flipped in position (second->first) in order to show the backgrounds in proper relation.
I agree. My logic was that the left hand end of the layout should be on the left and the right on the right. However, logic does not take into account aesthetics. I will do as you suggest.
QuoteOn the other issue, I don't see any links but the ones that have been there all along.
It was like that for me last night and then again this morning. However, I just reloaded it and the link was there. D**n cache! Just keep trying (maybe Shift-f5). Or clean out the cache.

With best wishes,
Chris.
Chris
N & Z Home PageBahnhof Breitenfurt – Ost

Marklin Z scale Bavarian S3/6___________________

Chris

Hi everyone.

At last I have updated my layout diary. Basically it is a one-man wash-up meeting for the last exhibition. It has a couple of images but they are also on the exhibition report page.

All the best,
Chris.
Chris

Chris

Hello everyone. As I am not in a design stage at the moment, I haven't used AnyRail (though I do keep it up to date) for quite a while and, as a result (and due to other circumstances), I haven't been on any of the forums or worked on my layout for a while. However, yesterday I decided to take a few photos of the 'traffic' that is starting to build up on the roads and in the goods yard. (No people yet, though.) Anyway, I have posted these pictures on my web-page. Most of the items are made by a small German company called Trafofuchs and the detail is really good.

With my best wishes to everyone,
Chris.
Chris

Chris

Dear Friends,

I've not done much on the railway side of things in the last few weeks but have been bringing it to life with horse drawn carriages and wagons from Preiser and Trafofuchs as well as adding a few people (a most frustrating task as I get more superglue on my fingers that on the layout!). No photos of the people yet but but a few of the traffic can be seen at the usual address (below). Do have a look.

All the best to you all, and happy modelling,
Chris.
Chris

Jeff

Chris,

To my own surprise, I actually have a couple of comments. First, a really good quality pair of tweezers with what is called a 'bent tip' will ease your gluing problems. I say this as an N scale modeler with large fingers :) . That and keeping a small bottle of nail polish remover handy...

Second, I notice on the track plan image that the stub siding just to the right of the main station platform seems awfully short. I can't really tell, since it's all in Z, but it looks too short for most engines.

Well, must run.

Later!
Jeff                      and Unofficial Guy Who Knows Almost Everything About It

Chris

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the response.

I have tried using my Lindstrom pliers, both with the bendy end and straight pointed. The latter help as long as one can hold them absolutely steady for 30-40 seconds. The former were not so helpful. If there are no obstructions I use my bare fingers (hence the Superglue). Next month I shall order a load more people ready to start populating the platforms as far as I can for the moment. (I still have a footbridge and a train shed to add).

The stub siding is 135mm long including the buffer stop so can handle all the locos except, possible, the BR53.0 (1'C)D h4v 3'2'T35K which only just makes it on the turntable. As it is used purely to get locos to and from the shed 'tis OK.

All the best,
Chris.
Chris

Jeff

Ok, Chris :)

Still, I have the feeling that you just aren't in possession of the right pair of tweezers. I have a nice pair, stainless steel with a bent nose and, importantly, a tab that locks them closed on an object until released. Glue or superglue, neither present a big problem. If you're having trouble with the superglue itself (not unheard of), then give a try to what is known as 'gap filling superglue'. It dries about as fast as your glue, but doesn't dribble or run like the usual thin superglue, so it might keep the stuff off your fingers.

Chris

Thanks Jeff. Just bought a pair on line. I will also see if I can get a connector pin extractor as they have a shaped jaw to go round the pin that would be perfect for holding very small objects. E.G. the 2mm high birds that I have been trying to stick down.

Best wishes,
Chris.
Chris

Jeff

Ah! There's your problem!

Never use 2mm birds, always hold out for the 2.5mm ones!

:)

Andrew

Hi Chris,
Have you tried the super glue gel? I find it bonds better plus it gives you more time before bonding, should you have to move it and there are no rivers of glue when you only need a drop.
Your layout is looking good. I haven't done much on mine of late, our garden is taking a more of my time.
Yours,
Andrew
Yours,

Andrew

Chris

Hi Andrew. No. I did use some years ago to repair a teapot. It was the only time that Super glue worked for me though I am having better luck now. However, I doubt anyone here sells it. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. I'll see if I can get some on line.

Best wishes,
Chris.
Chris

Andrew

Hi Chris,
Most of the Sth Aust. Railway model kits, which are cast, are made from polyurethane resin. So, you have a choice of either assemble with super glue or it will invariably fall apart sometime sooner or later. Epoxies sometimes work but not always.
Looking forward to your next set of photos.
Yours,
Andrew
Yours,

Andrew

Jeff

Andrew,

There is a glue that is tailor-made for your kits. It's available in the U.S. and as I hope to you. I'm sure you can find it online. It's called Gorilla Glue. I mention it because it's a Urethane glue. No, not specifically made for Urethane, but made from Urethane. All the home improvement outlets and lumber yards carry it (even in the checkout line at the supermarket :) ). The only special thing required is a little dampness. Yes, water. one side of a joint needs to be damp in order to work best. Once the stuff sets, you could park your favorite car on it and not worry.

Chris

Hi Jeff.

Yes, they are in the UK at http://uk.gorillaglue.com/ but no mention of Urethane. So maybe the specific glue you are referring to is not available here. I tired to find safety data but was not impressed when none appeared to be available in spite of there being a link on Google.

Best wishes,
Chris.

[Later: Try http://www.gluegorilla.co.uk/ instead.
Chris