News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Newbie looking for feedback and advice

Started by Shawn, June 07, 2020, 06:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shawn

Hello,

I am an extreme newbie with anyrail, I tried the trial version a few times, however never got the hang of it. Recently I decided to switch scales from HO to N and figured I would use anyrail to design my new layout. 

I bought the full program, and started to think of what I would like.  I have an area of 5 x 16 and wanted continuous run, so I used the N scale salt lake route as a base.  I want to use flex track since I can get more out of it however I am not sure I am doing any of this correctly. 

I have the mainline down, but still working on the yards/industries and not sure if I am on the right track (no pun intended). 

I have attached a copy of my work so far, so I am hoping those with more experience with anyrail can give me advice and let me know if everything looks okay.  I am trying to keep my min radius at 18 inches so I am not even sure I am setting those up correctly.  I am still working on figuring out my yards, and industries but I wanted to get some early feedback.

thank you
Shawn

David

Hi Shawn,

Just a few remarks:

Try to avoid diverging turnouts in the mainline.

Try to organize the fiddle yards in such a way that you don't need to use the mainline for each activity.

Make sure to keep enough distance between the tracks. One way to do this is to use the 'Trace' function from the SHOW tab. Set the trace width to the required track distance, and see if it overlaps.

Think of using multiple levels, perhaps to store trains in a hidden yard (under the mountains).

For a station, it's always nicer if a train that leaves on the left end side, returns from the left end side. In real life, most trains run end-to-end. When using an oval or closed loop, this effect is lost.

If the train table is on a wall, make sure everything remains reachable. A reach of about 24 inches is still comfortable. Beyond that, it becomes stressful!

I hope these tips help you further refining your plan.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Keesoldscool

Hi Shawn,

It is a nice space for a layout. It is good to ask yourself what you want.
You made up your choice for N-track. You also chose a single track design.
Now a few questions:
Do you only want to run trains? If so, you want manual or automated?
Do you also want a scenery? How much space is needed for the buildings? Good to know, so you can lay the tracks towards or around them.
What kind of scenery? This also determines the need for train tracks.
Als the advised of David are important. Accessibility is especially important.
And realize that the space in your head seems many times larger than it really is.
Grtz. Kees

Shawn

Thank you for the feedback,

I didn't know about the trace view, so that greatly helped.  I had to increase the size of the table. 

I would love to do a multi level layout, however my knowledge of design and building the bench work isn't up to the task.....yet.  I was thinking of doing a double mainline, however I am not sure how to place the trackage so that there is the proper distance between the lines.  I figured it would be easier to stick with single main for the time being.

I rearranged the yards, creating arrival/departure tracks, I also created a small engine maintenance facility as well. 

The table will be in the middle of the room, so I can reach from all aspects, I added a line on the layout that represents a scenery divider. 

I was thinking of having a point to point layout, but the issue for me is I like to someone sit and watch a train go by without having to worry about stopping it.  Which brings me to the idea of a multi-level layout; with that I could create a lower section that simply returns to the upper layout creating that look.  Again my knowledge is what is holding me back.

Future-Digital

David,

You mentioned using Trace for a spacing device. Just how wide should the trace be set for HO scale so that cars don't touch in either straight lines or in 18" radius curves, etc?
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx