News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

How do I place track in specific locations?

Started by grsymes, March 30, 2020, 12:27:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

grsymes

I want to place two lengths of straight track parallel to each other at 10cm between centre lines, how can I do this?

Tom Springer

Presuming you are using flex track, not sectional track.

Place the first track piece where you want it.

Select that track piece, and then in the Track tab at the top of the screen towards the right side, you'll see the "Add Parallel flex..." option.  This allow you to create a second copy of the selected flex track piece at a specified distance from the first piece; i.e., "in parallel".

Select that option and you get a pop-up box with the distance you want, in your measurement unit system, that you want the new centerline of the new track to from the centerline of the old track.  Above/blow/left/right are the directional choices.

Experiment and you'll see how easy this is.
Tom Springer

(Unintentional Pyromaniac)

grsymes

Great that does it, thanks.

This leads me onto my next question. In the image attached I have 2 straight rails. The upper SL-100F has a SL-E190 double slip connected. There is a SL-E191 turnout which I would like to connect to the double slip and to the lower section of SL-100F rail. How can I get the SL-E191 connected and keep the spacing between the SL-100F's the same and without curving rails?

Keesoldscool

What about cutting a few smaller pieces of a the SL-100F?
Grtz. Kees

Tom Springer

To begin, you are bound by the geometry that Peco defines for these parts.  Meaning the angles and lengths of the turnout legs.

In your case, all of the turnout legs are 12 degrees so the angles aren't an issue, but the length of the legs on the double slip is.

So just put a small piece of track of the 'correct' length between the leg of the E190 and the E191 part you want to join to:

grsymes.any

The fun part is determining this length.
Tom Springer

grsymes

I was hoping there was a way of the program lining up the parts.
I though CAD programs were supposed to eliminate this sort of guess work, having guidelines parts could snap to would be a useful feature.

Tom Springer

Even in a true CAD program, there are a lot of times one must calculate things.

Here's a technique I've used when I was designing layout and sidings:
grsymes 2.any

Create the base using the 2 red and green straight track segments; make one of them 'hidden' for better visuals in the next steps.

Disconnect the E191 turnout at the connection marked A.

Select that turnout and move it using the keyboard right-arrow key (NOT the mouse) to the right until the red and green tracks 'align'.  Use Shift-right arrow to get small movements as needed.

Now extend the track from the point marked A to reconnect to the turnout.

If careful with the movements, you should have your straight track piece.

Delete the red OR green track segment.

Now connect the end of the remaining red or green segment to the 'other' turnout (the double slip in this case).

You don't use the mouse because you want to be absolutely sure you only do horizontal moves, otherwise the turnout is out of position vertically.
Tom Springer

grsymes

Thanks for guide. That should get it close enough for what I want. I hadn't realised track could be moved with keys, or I had forgotten! I don't use Anyrail often.

C.R. Wagus

You will find short connecting track pieces are frequently required when connecting adjacent track and switches.  This is especially true if you are using track and switches from different manufacturers.  Actually this is true when developing a layout without AR as well.  Tom's procedure is the best way of aligning the elements.   It may seem a little tedious but once you do it a few times, it becomes easier.  Once you have determined visual alignment, the hardest part is determining the exact length of the straight connecting track.  A trick I use is to connect a length of flex track attached to one of the switches.  Align the the assembly using the arrow keys as Tom suggests.  Now, right click on the straight flex track and choose cut flex track just beyond the apparent connection point to the other switch. Delete the unneeded flex track section.  Now click on the end of the flex track and drag it with the mouse to the end point of the second switch stub.  If you have auto-connect turned on it will automatically make the connection.  To complete the connection, click on the short connecting piece and choose smooth from the menu.  If you did a good aligning with the arrow keys, the connecting track should be as good an approximation as possible.

Once completed, this assembly may be useful in other places on your layout.  You can make a copy and use it over and over.  Saves time!  Years ago I used this process to create examples of various switch combinations from several manufacturers and with a variety of parallel track distances.  AR was kind enough to post these on the web site for all to use.

Try it.
Carl