News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

More track alignment issues

Started by Dragonfly, May 27, 2009, 08:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dragonfly

Evenin' all.

I'm still not sure about Hornby and Peco-100 track lengths. Namely the standard points and single straights.
They are listed as 168mm, and doubles are 335mm. Are these accurate? The 168 isn't 167.5 rounded up?

It's just that I was sure double straights were supposed to be exactly two single straights long...
And in the program it is making issues for me, one half a mm at a time =(

Thanks for your time =)

David

According to our data sheets, for both the length of a single track is 168mm. Peco indicates both 168mm and 6 5/8 in, which comes to 168.275mm.
The  double straight is a bit shorter than one would expect. Peco states 335mm or 13 3/16 in (which is 334.9625mm).

Peco and Hornby are exactly the same in this respect.

So indeed, a double is not really a double. It's about 1mm too short. Strange I should say.

If anyone of the readers owns one of these straights or turnouts, could you please check it for us?
Otherwise, we'll order these parts and measure them up ourselves.

David.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

Dragonfly

Yeah, all the listings I've seen of the length specify 168mm too, I'm just a little puzzled by why the double straight wouldn't be double a single straight, especially as all the geometry diagrams etc specify that it is.

I do think that the 168 really is 167.5 rounded up, but... Ah I dunno. I'll be at the local Railway Circle tomorrow night, I'll see if I can find a single straight and find out for sure.

I know it's only half a mm, which makes no difference in the real world (such a tiny gap wouldn't even make a difference in a real model), but I'm one of those people that really goes for accuracy when it's on the computer, haha