News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Newbie looking for guidance and feedback

Started by WarrenO, October 21, 2020, 11:58:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WarrenO

Hi All,

My son, my friend and I are in the planning stages of building our first layout which will be built in a room on a mezzanine floor in my shed.  The room area is of 4500mm wide and 7500mm long (14.75' x 24.60') which I have nearly finished building the structural elements of.  I have been tossing around the layout space, doing tons of research to get a good looking layout and to get the most out of the room and have come up with a preliminary design I would love feedback or suggestions on.

In a basic sense the layout will be an operational layout with switch yards and industry possible live loads, however it will be separated by roughly 50% being scenic or small towns along the route.

I am looking at a two tier layout and unsure weather I should have a gradient rise on the bottom side wall or hide a helix above the staging yard (open to ideas).

At this stage I am trying to get feedback on isle widths, depth of layout and radius of layout and track and where it would be best placed to put industries, switching yards etc.  As this will be an operational layout we plan on using a DCC system with electronic switches etc.

I know this size layout is a long term many year project, however, that it exactly what I am looking for.

Please see a Jpeg of the layout and the anyrail file for reference.
track plans first cut.jpg
two level 6x4.5m layout.any

Happy to get any feedback.

Thanks Warren.

mrsax2000

Start with Google maps. Find a railroad that interests you and follow the track. You might be able to model different locations, selectively compressing bits & pieces. It will show how industries are located. Use those as examples.

Also good to have some spots where trains just run between towns, etc.

WarrenO

Thanks for the heads up, I will have a look and go from there.