News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

My 1st Z Scale Layout on a 36" by 80" Door

Started by jeff.morgan, October 23, 2020, 12:04:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff.morgan

Back in 1970, shortly after my discharge from the US Navy, after returning from Vietnam, I got the bug to build a model railroad. Living in an apartment in San Francisco, I had very limited space, so I chose to build in "N" scale. The plan I selected was the Susquehanna Valley Ry from the 1970 magazine from Atlas of "Nine N Scale Model Railroads". This layout consisted of 2 outer loops on the base level and another 2 figure eights on an upper level, all on a 4' x 8' platform. I enjoyed building this model railroad immensely and found that using a platform for the upper level was so much easier for someone like myself with my limited experience verses using an open frame with raisers. It was an enjoyable experience for a few short years, but then the demands of a programming career and marriage and child raising took all of my free time away and I ended up selling the layout.

I have since discovered that the plan that I built back then is quite popular and has been modeled over the years by a number of others as well. Descriptions of the experiences and building process of a few who have built this can be found using GOOGLE – here are 2 of them for those interested - https://moshken.smugmug.com/Hobbies/Model-Railroad/Building-Atlas-N-18-Gulf/
http://www.billbentgen.com/railroad/

Fast forward to today, 2020, fifty years later, and I find myself retired with much free time and with COVID, all around us and with stay-at-home orders, still more free time to dream. With that in mind, I recently purchased a copy of the AnyRail program and began drawing plans of model railroads.

Still living in San Francisco, my first concession to my issue of a lack of space, was to change the scale of my proposed model railroad from "N" scale to "Z" scale. And after reading a number of articles I found that many others who use "Z" scale are using Hollow Core Doors (36" x 80") as the base for their model railroads. So, I decided to use this as well. I also decided to use the plan I had modeled 50 years earlier (the Susquehanna Valley Ry from the 1970 magazine from Atlas of "Nine N Scale Model Railroads"), as the starting point for my design.

In my new proposed plan, I first reduced the number of trains that can be run concurrently from four to three. I next added two reversing loops to the inner loop of the lower level. And on the upper level, in addition to the figure eight from the ATLAS plan, I added an enclosing loop which when combined with the figure eight, also allowed reversing travel direction as well. 

I initially found the AnyRail program is easy to learn and easy to use and found that it is a dream in laying out and modifying track plans (It's primary purpose – as a professional programmer myself, all I can say is – VERY WELL DONE). However, I also discovered that my greatest difficulty using the program was using 'surfaces' to represent the terrain features such as hills and mountains and rivers, particularly when designing the upper level of my plan. I could not find any documentation on how to do this or even any mention on if this is the correct approach for representing terrain, and it took many GOOGLE searches to find any examples that could lead me in the correct direction. And the program has no ability at all to set a surface with two different heights, to allow a ramp or incline to be constructed from one level to another. This can be done with track itself using "smooth slope", but not with surfaces which are being used to represent terrain. At this time, this is the only major (irritating) issue I have found. Other than this, the 3D view also does not include any of the 'objects' that are used in the 2D view (Buildings, Trees, etc.)

With all of that in mind, using AnyRail, this is the plan that I have come up with. It is a work-in-process...  My wife thinks I am crazy.

•   36" x 80"  - - 3 Trains – on a Hollow Core Door
•   Green Line   Lower Level - outside loop,  Primary Direction of Travel - Counter-Clockwise,  The Minimum Curve Radius  =  7.68"
•   Red Line    Lower Level - inside loop,   Primary Direction of Travel - Clockwise,  The Minimum Curve Radius  =  6.69"
   This loop also includes a Point to Point, with 2 Reverse Loops

•   Blue Line    Upper Level – a loop, which encloses a Figure Eight (providing 2 Reverse Loops)
   The Slope Percentage of the incline to the Upper Level is  2.7%.  The Minimum Curve Radius  =  6.69"

I am requesting comments to allow me to improve the design.

Feel free to copy the AnyRail plan posted for your own use if you wish.

Jeff Morgan    <(*_*)>,,,

SOPACMAC

Jeff;
First off as a fellow resident of SF allow me to welcome you to AnyRail.
I've been using this great software for many years mainly creating track layouts in N scale which I then import into TrainPlayer (a product you might want to check out) to "beautify" (adding scenery and industries) and operate trains. In fact, I'm just getting ready to import my latest venture (a 100' by 55') rough representation of the Southern Pacific Coast Line from King City to Surf. Using AnyRail to create this monster track layout was accomplished with little strain or pain. I've already test imported to TP a few times in order to check the industry track arrangements and made necessary adjustments in AnyRail.
Like you I am retired (in 2000) but was hooked on designing layouts using AnyRail long before the Covid virus hit, and like you my late wife thought I was nuts.
Good luck on your venture.
Mac (former USMC)

chaz

Hi Jeff,

Welcome to the group. I like what you've done...a lot. I have a couple of things for you to think about.

First, trimming roadbed. The Rokuhan turnouts come with a straight piece with the roadbed trimmed. They are in the library next to the turnout. I use that piece when I can. If not I trim the roadbed. It's not hard. To help get clean cuts, I created a Turnout Miter Box. It's not for sale at the moment, but that is a quick fix. This miter box accepts any straight piece, but was specifically designed for the 25mm straight pieces.

Second, track cleaning. Z scale locomotives are light, meaning the tracks and wheels have to kept clean. Getting to the hidden tracks may be a challenge.

Third, you need to make sure your rolling stock can negotiate the 120mm (4.72") radius curve. 
MP 525.25 on the Prosser Subdivision of the North Kansas Division of the MOPAC Railroad.