News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

First layout plan

Started by Breeze, November 27, 2020, 02:17:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Breeze

What do you all think of this layout plan. This is the 1st time using AnyRail. I like this program and enjoyed using it. This is an On30 layout. The helix is a 2.5% grade and the rest of the layout is 2%. Track runs from O" to 15". Minimum radius is 20". This will be in the middle of the room with 3'of space around the layout. Benchwork height TBD.

magnus

(First, I'm no expert, so take this with a grain of salt)

Interesting plan - what I like about it:
* Long runs
* 4 dead ends where you can create areas of interests, like industries, towns etc.
* Several crossings with bridges etc.

My concerns would be:
* No staging yards, no passing tracks for arrival/departures - will be easy to block the main track
* No way to have meeting trains or a way to reverse trains, will not be fun in DCC systems
* Reach - will be hard to reach any central area

Breeze

Thank you! These are all great points! Perhaps I should use a reversing loop on each end of the line. In doing that I might be able to gain access with the helix diameter reduced. A staging yard may be tricky to fit but it may be possible. Passing sidings are something I need to look at as well. Thanks again for the comments!

BadBanana

Also, consider spacing out your S-bends slightly.  A very short straight link between left and right curves can make it much easier for a couple of wagons or coaches to transition from one curve to the opposite curve.  It helps with smoother running and it will also make the train movement look much more natural.

Breeze

Good to know, I have created a couple reverse loops which I have incorporated but am not satisfied with. I will have a look at this spacing now as well.
Thank you for the comments!

mrsax2000

How will you reach stuff in the middle. Can you straighten out spots. Lots of curves. Trains like straights too.