News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

New feature - What fills this gap?

Started by philguk, November 28, 2020, 09:52:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philguk

((Bet THIS already exists too and I just haven't found it yet!))

Anyway....

Sometimes when playing around with defined track pieces I can build an interesting section of track, but when I come to join "two ends" I find myself choosing pieces at random to see which one (or ones) actually fit.

It would be really cool to be able to flag two "ends" of a gap and have AnyRail suggest pieces (if any) that would bridge the gap

Thanks

Phil G

magnus

I don't think that feature exists. But what I always find myself doing is to use Flexi track. That will almost always solve it.

philguk

Quote from: magnus on November 28, 2020, 10:02:17 PMI don't think that feature exists. But what I always find myself doing is to use Flexi track. That will almost always solve it.
Agree that is one option. But I'm trying to build semi-permanent layouts with ONLY standard track pieces

Future-Digital

I once had that goal, as well. I had LOTS of fixed "Standard" track pieces and wanted to use them instead of buying anything else.

After a few years of building and rebuilding I completely changed my mind. Fixed track is great in places, but it has REQUIREMENTS. That is, you can't vary it much, if at all.

What happens if you want something BETWEEN a 22 and a 26 inch radius? What happens when you want something that starts off in a 22 inch radius and morphs into a 26 inch radius (made up examples)? Hard to fudge that. A small piece of flex track taught me I could have MANY nice subtle variations that were completely unavailable with Fixed track.

Buy a few pieces and give it a try. You may well grow to like it.

Bill
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx

philguk

Totally agree my loft layout is 100% (apart from turnouts) flex track

But for future planning, I'm going down the Japanese route of easily creatable (and dismantleable) layouts

That said, Rocoline ballasted track does also have flexible......