News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Selecting a printer

Started by philguk, December 03, 2020, 05:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

philguk

I think I'm having a bad day, but ....

WHERE in AnyRail can you select which printer to use? I have more than one network printer attached and I would like to be able to choose which one to use. AnyRail seems to pick the default printer and stick with it!

Or am I missing a option somewhere??

Thanks

PS The help doesn't seem to cover "selecting a printer"

Future-Digital

Hi,

When I bring up AnyRail's Print section, by clicking on Print, the area to be printed shows to the right and on the left, near the bottom, is a box marked "Print Setup."

Click on that box and a Print Setup menu will pop up in the middle of the screen. Near the top of that it says "Printer," and just below that it says "Name:"

If I click just to the right of "Name" on the name of the printer shown, I get a list of several printers that are attached to my computer, including but not limited to the default printer. Pick one.

Give that a try. Good luck.

Bill
"I find television very educating. Every time somebody turns on the set, I go into the other room and read a book." - Groucho Marx

philguk

Quote from: Future-Digital on December 03, 2020, 06:20:49 PMHi,

When I bring up AnyRail's Print section, by clicking on Print, the area to be printed shows to the right and on the left, near the bottom, is a box marked "Print Setup."

Click on that box and a Print Setup menu will pop up in the middle of the screen. Near the top of that it says "Printer," and just below that it says "Name:"

If I click just to the right of "Name" on the name of the printer shown, I get a list of several printers that are attached to my computer, including but not limited to the default printer. Pick one.

Give that a try. Good luck.

Bill

Interesting - there is nothing like that showing in MY print dialogue!

But it does look like it extends off the bottom of my screen - with no scroll bars

If I could figure out how to attach a file, I have a screenshot.....

philguk

Image attached showingAnyRail Clip0001.jpgg truncated(?) print dialog box

BadBanana

@philguk - From the image details I think that your display is 1920 x 1200 pixels - that is normally more than large enough. I have the exact same screen resolution here, but have not seen your problem in normal use.  However, the fact that it is cropping where it appears to be suggests that you perhaps have a relatively high display magnification setting in Windows.  If I set a zoom of around 140-150% I can get a similar effect.  However, your taskbar looks relatively normal which suggest that this might not be the case.

Are you able to go into the display zoom settings in Windows to see if anything is set? (Right-click on the Desktop, then go into Display Settings and there are normally some zoom options in there...)

philguk

Indeed it's 1920x1200 but no zoom settings that I can see

When I use my external monitor (1920x1080) I can see the printer settings button (yay!)

NOW, if I duplicate my screen on both laptop and external, the resolution is still 1920x1200 BUT I do see the printer settings

If I EXTEND - the laptop screen stays at 1920x1200 and I see HALF of the printer settings button......

Is this making any sense at all??

BadBanana

OK - that gives a few possibilities...  I only use a single monitor.  This could (just, maybe) be a Windows or display driver issue.  But I guess you don't see any other applications' windows zooming like this when you extend the display area and then use any other programs? I would think that you would if the display driver was responsible, although this is now getting beyond my limited knowledge (I'm more of a hardware guy)..

At this point this sounds like something to run past the program author...

I may be able to rig up a spare monitor to see if I can replicate the issue.  I shall post back if I find anything more.

philguk

It's odd that I ONLY have the problem WITHOUT a second monitor attached

Agree this needs investigation by the powers that be - hopefully they see this post (I think it's in the right forum?)

Thanks for your help. Much appreciated

David

Hi Philguk, there's just not enough vertical space on your monitor with the current Windows zoom settings.

Please press the Windows key, type 'Display settings', and click 'Display Settings' when it comes up as a search result.

You should find a 'Scale and Layout' section. Scale a bit down, perhaps to 100%.
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

BadBanana

Hi David - there is something else going on here.  Philguk already confirmed that it can work (post #5) but that something is going wrong when he extends the desktop.  I am still suspecting drivers, but have not yet checked a similar scenario on my machine.

Edit: My apologies David - obviously this was a zoom setting issue.  See below.

philguk

Quote from: David on December 06, 2020, 03:53:26 PMHi Philguk, there's just not enough vertical space on your monitor with the current Windows zoom settings.

Please press the Windows key, type 'Display settings', and click 'Display Settings' when it comes up as a search result.

You should find a 'Scale and Layout' section. Scale a bit down, perhaps to 100%.

Well, what do you know - I had a zoom setting of 150%! I have NO IDEA why

And, as you guessed, when I set it to 100% all is fine

But WOW, everything is SO small - I think I need t play around with my resolution a bit. Although 1920 x 1200 IS what Windows is suggesting for my laptop

Thanks for your help and apologies to BadBanana for not spotting this before. I suspect with an external monitor connected I was getting a 100% zoom

BadBanana

Well, I am glad you got there.  :)  I was scratching my head trying to figure it out.

As for other things looking small, you may be able to find an intermediate zoom level that does work.  I think 125% is an option that would still allow you to see all relevant parts of that dialogue box.  Note that web browsers typically have their own zoom settings as well (Control button with scroll-wheel on mouse often works), although that won't help for other stuff of course.

philguk

Quote from: BadBanana on December 09, 2020, 05:33:50 PMWell, I am glad you got there.  :)  I was scratching my head trying to figure it out.

As for other things looking small, you may be able to find an intermediate zoom level that does work.  I think 125% is an option that would still allow you to see all relevant parts of that dialogue box.  Note that web browsers typically have their own zoom settings as well (Control button with scroll-wheel on mouse often works), although that won't help for other stuff of course.

I went for a lower resolution - for now