News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

Double Car Garage N Scale

Started by RedDingo, December 28, 2020, 08:50:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RedDingo

A very large Layout I hope to build in the near future.
It has a double track main that snakes up through mountains and tunnels, eventually looping back onto itself in a continuous run. There's 2 large yards and a passenger terminus, with sidings and branches for several industries. It has a lift bridge that is also a return loop. Not for the faint hearted this layout requires Fast Tracks Turnouts and a whole lot of custom built turnouts and crossings.
I think I'm the most indecisive Man on the Planet - But then again I'm not so sure....

RedDingo

Snapped a few screens of it in 3D so it's able to be visualized
I think I'm the most indecisive Man on the Planet - But then again I'm not so sure....

RedDingo

I made a few additions and did a couple of tweaks

David

Nice plan! Are you sure that you want the duck under?
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

RedDingo

Hi David thanks very much! I designed it so I can remove it if need be, but also to have a hinge so no ducking, most probably not including it but I think it gives a little more flexibility to operations. I'd also need an alternate route for 2 Mains from my peninsula to go somewhere....

Yamakai

Looking Good!

With the space available I also would lose the duckunder - you will later appreciate this free entry into the train Room for you and your visitors.

You also have the space to perhaps consider dropping a line to future hidden storage under the layout. The main line curves at the end of the peninsula need a reason to be doing a 180 turn - perhaps have them skirting a hill embankment or disapearing into a tunnel so the actual curves are hidden but think of derailments and track cleaning access, maybe the peninsula could be extended slightly to allow this.

Are you able to access the track half way along the top wall?

You already have plenty of scope for photo opportunities - maybe also incorporate a sweeping curve somewhere without other tracks being visible to allow a 'country' photo scene.

You have put a lot of thought into your plan. I have enjoyed following a track planning guy on u-tube not so much for his designs but his thought process behind them - search  mpeterll  if interested.  It may help with any final tweeks etc.

mrsax2000

You don't need the double x-over at the stub end of the yard. Swap with a single x-over. It will do the same thin but cost less. Give yourself room after the x-over for more than 1 engine to do the run-around :)

mrsax2000

Maybe hide the yellow (gold) tracks after the siding to the mine(?) and all the way past where blue turns back. This would camouflage the train circling back under itself, but more important - focus your view on the blue line and mine area.

mrsax2000

Would it be possible to attach your ANY file?

Yamakai

I am always a bit wary of having curves that connect directly onto turnouts creating an 'S' bend such as your bottom right corner module.  Where possible I would have a short straight or other easement.

Looking at your bottom left corner module - consider moving all of those yard turnouts to the straight track on the module above.  Your yard could then move slightly to the left giving you more space for easements at the righthand end.  The key point is not having to couple on curves.

Also, if you are not having a duckunder then you may be able to rework both turn-around modules for scenery or small industry.

mrsax2000

Regarding the "S" curves in lower right - the right leads seem pretty mild. The left leads into the duck under aren't bad, but . . .

If you angle the duck under, you might be able to adjust the "S" leads so the left 2 are smoother without impacting the right 2 too much.

Just a thought

mrsax2000

Regarding the lower left yard double x-overs. If you move some up to the straight and stagger them, you might be able make it possible to move from far left to right tracks before entering the yard.

Somewhere I read it was a good idea to stagger these kinds of switches.

You could also swap some of the doubles in the top of the lower right yard for single x-overs, to avoid have the same switch pattern repeated next to each other. Kind of a visual thing.

Just my opinion. No right or wrong here :)

RedDingo

Thanks guys, some good ideas there! I'll definitely keep working on it and change a few more things along the way. And yes I'll be switching most of the double x-overs for singles, for some reason there's no single in the track library, and making one from turnouts is a total pain in the caboose lol

RedDingo

Ok so I've done a few more tweaks. I think I'm happy with it at this point....
A side note: with a total track length of 302 Meters it should be quite entertaining :)

RedDingo

OK Guys, So I decided I'd try the extension of the peninsula. It's allowed a longer platform for my terminus, and is a full length of flex longer in the yards. It also allowed some more area for the town and another Loco Shed. I've started adding detail as well and set out my Industries. I've also decided to keep the lift-out and make it a river Crossing Scene. What's everyone think?