News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

My first track plan, with issues

Started by jtsharp, December 29, 2020, 10:03:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtsharp

Hello all,

New user here.  I've finally decided it was time to dust off the old LGB trains in the basement.  I've got an older analog setup, and before converting to DCC I thought about creating a new track plan with Any Rail.  In my attempt to recreate a catalog layout, it would appear some sections are not aligning. Funny, as these are the identical pieces in the catalog. Does anyone have some suggestions regarding this layout not aligning?

Thanks Jared

mrsax2000

Maybe this will help. Started at bottom. Changed curves (removed some short bits between curves). Used some short bits and decided 2 flex pieces would be better (sectioned in yellow). You can cut these to fit.

mrsax2000

It is possible that some of the sections may connect in real world, but the math prevents it in the program.

Or, if the plan is from the catalog, it's wrong. Or something else :)

David

Very often, with rigid sectional track, you need to make use of the play in the track to make it fit.
Usually, you'll just have to create connections that are 1 degree off to make it work.
I've attached your track plan with slightly inaccurate connections.
Here's a video to show how it works:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=20hDeHXfAdo
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

mrsax2000

To echo David's reply with an example - the Salt Lake Route (MR layout) used n-scale Kato Unitrack. A number of adjustable #20-050 pieces were inserted fill spots where standard pieces were too short. When you go back and try to create in AnyRail, it doesn't really work 100% (even though you can jiggle the "real" pieces together). I know because I tried to do it and ended up spending more time than I expected.

mrsax2000

The 1 thing I strongly suggest is to avoid little straight pieces between curves. Try to keep the curves together.

This will help the train avoiding a turn-straight-turn-straight jiggly thing. It may not cause problems while running, but you may not like the jiggly effect when done.

I did something similar with a small "S" curve and thought it would be neat. The result was bad when all done. I hated how the train looked as it passed thru the "S".

Nice thing with sectional, you can move stuff around until you're happy - before gluing it in place.

jtsharp

Thank you all for your help.  This is very beneficial.

magnus

I have been using this trick a few times, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, and I cannot find a pattern when it does not work. Attached is a simple layout reproducing the problem where the track pieces will not connect when they reasonably should. What's wrong here?
Will not connect.jpg
Does not connect.any

mrsax2000

What if you start with the curves, connect them, then work back thru the plan? Just a crazy idea.

magnus

This is in the middle of a larger plan so that wouldn't be plausible. Even then, this scenario ought to work, just can't figure out why it does not.

BadBanana

What have you set as the tolerances for connection (in the settings)?  It may be that you need to increase the numbers a little.

magnus

20mm and 5° so it should be more than enough.

The strange thing it works on some tracks but not on others.

magnus

I found the problem! The track had different heights!

BadBanana

Also, Autoconnect in Settings is disabled.  I also spotted the 8mm height difference,  but I think the Autoconnect was the main issue.

magnus

Auto Connect does not preserve the set angle, so I turned it off. Still, Connect should be enabled in the context menu with or without Auto Connect turned on.