News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

New to n-gauge KATO unirail using anyrail software

Started by drbob01, January 11, 2021, 10:52:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

drbob01

Hi All
I used anyrail years ago in designing my HO gauge Marklin layout. Now with limited space, I'm trying to design a new layout on 3x9 table using Anyrail and n-gauge track.  I am hoping to have at least 2 levels and struggling on using the KATO track.  I'd love to using the double unitrack, but having trouble with connecting tracks.  Can anyone give me a few helpful tips to get started?  Thanks!

Vic A

Welcome Dr. Bob,

About the easiest way to get folks interested in your questions is to post/attach your drawing.  Others can download your drawing, make changes and suggestions, save and then attach the file to a reply.

In general though, put some track on your workspace from the library.  Grab a piece and move it closer to another.  The blue dots indicate that upon release of your mouse button, they will connect themselves.

Vic

drbob01

Many thanks for your reply and help.  Now, I am trying to add height to some of the crossing track...any advice?
Thanks

Vic A

I'm not sure you have created a plan that is possible.  Following the double track along, it is at two different elevations simultaneously.

Vic

drbob01

Thanks!  I'm trying to see if I can figure out how to make it work... Maybe not possible

drbob01

Okay...I have designed a layout that I think works for me, but I'm not certain about the clearance from crossing track, according to what I can see.  Can you tell me how to download the layout so someone, more knowledgeable than I, can see if this layout will work?
Thanks!

magnus

Quote from: drbob01 on April 10, 2021, 01:00:19 AMOkay...I have designed a layout that I think works for me, but I'm not certain about the clearance from crossing track, according to what I can see.  Can you tell me how to download the layout so someone, more knowledgeable than I, can see if this layout will work?
Thanks!
The best way to get feedback on your layout is to upload your .any file to this forum in the Track Plans section.

AnyRail has many useful clearance features. You turn them on in the Show tab where you can select Slope, Height and Vertical Clearance. You can set your limits for warnings under the Settings tab, under Slopes. AnyRail will then warn you if you violate any of those limits.

To learn more about what clearances are reasonable, NMRA has several standards and recommendations, see
https://www.nmra.org/clearance-and-grade

drbob01

Thank you!  I will download my latest *.any file and hopefully I can get some advice.New_layout_kato_Mar232021.any

magnus

Hello, again. Post your plan in Track Plans, more people might respond there.

I don't know N scale well, but several things look strange:
- You have several very steep slopes (12%, 23%, 17%), try to keep all under 4%. You can see in 3D view that your track plan looks strange
- You have many sharp curves and S curves, they might lead to problems
- It's hard to figure out your "story" without some annotations or scenery. Where are stations? yards? Industries?
- Your background is very big, you can set an appropriate size under Settings tab in Work Area.

drbob01

Thanks!  I see the slopes are too steep and I'm not certain if I can change them without re-designing the layout.  I wanted to have a town with 2 tracks running through and the remainder for farm, industrial, etc.  the ability to run 2 or more trains simultaneously was my goal, so that's why the grades are so steep.  Thanks for your reply...I'll keep working on it!