News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

My first attempt - please comment

Started by lmike17, January 31, 2021, 03:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lmike17

I'm getting ready to build my first N scale layout and also my first attempt with AnyRail 6. The layout (Whiskey Barrel & Gotham) is a modified/expanded (now 3x7') plan designed by MC Fujiwara as a 2x4' plan. I'm using Peco code 55 flex and electro-frog switches. I've had difficulty getting everything to "connect" while maintaining my desired curve radius, etc. With a couple of highlighted exceptions I thought everything was good. But now I'm unsure of the many red indications throughout the layout.
I would appreciate any explanations or comments regarding the quality of the plan. What do the majority of the red indications mean? Is this a good working plan or do I have problems that need to be resolved?
THANKS for any assistance!

BadBanana

The red indicators that on the flex-track curves are simply showing that the minimum radius on that curve is less that the minimum you have in the settings for this layout.  The current setting in your layout is 14 inches.  You can turn the warning on and off.  However, assuming that you need it, your solution is either to reduce the minimum allowed radius, or to adjust the curves using the control points (or the Smooth Flex function).  If they are still too tight, you could look at relocating the turnouts (especially the one on the extreme right) and move it further around the layout (clockwise) to allow the curve between the two turnouts a bit more freedom.

I notice that you have used flex-track pretty much everywhere.  Sometimes it's easier to plan a layout using set-track to get the curves close to where you want them and then change to flex-track later.

lmike17

THANKS for your comments and suggestion on moving the one turnout.
Are the numerous red indicators (primarily on the top of the plan) an indication of joining track pieces or something else?

BadBanana

The only ones that I saw were Glue markers where you had glued some of the track pieces.  You can select all of the track and then un-glue them if needed.  If you want to stop a piece of flex track being changed you can use the Freeze Flex function.  Glue is intended to hold any track or other item in its location.  Freeze is intended to hold the shape and length of flex-track but still allow it to be repositioned. 

Also note that you can force any flex to be straight and of a known length if is is not connected at both ends by using the Straight Flex function.  Or you can take any piece of flex and create curves of known radius and angle (it must not be connected at all for this command to become available).  That may also help sometimes when trying to fit a curve into a defined space.

lmike17

THANKS for the help!
I say your a Good Banana

BadBanana