News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

New member looking for advice on a new track layout please

Started by AndyJ, February 05, 2021, 11:28:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AndyJ

Hi everyone,

I'm new here after a long, long gap in model railways.  I'm finally retired and about to achieve my ambition of an 'O' gauge layout (please see attachment) ...

Background:
Medium sized room (but a bit awkward shaped) available - I want to maximise the space available with a round the walls layout (first Anyrail attempt after many iterations is attached).
Door access must be kept (and closable).
Could be a multi-stage project based on track by track implementation.
More focused on running trains than on scenery.
Based on Lionel Fastracks with Command.
Lionel Legacy locos and trains.
Not so interested in long locos (e.g. BigBoys) and huge passenger cars.
Want the option of multi-train simultaneous operation (2 or 3 trains at the same time).
Envisage a passenger train mainly on the outside ground loop, goods train mainly on the inside ground loop and a coal or quarry train (using a switching loco) on the upper loop.  Passing loop desirable.  Sidings and switching areas needed.
Lift-out bridges near entry door to give access to centre of layout where control centre will be situated.
No turnouts in tunnels.

Issues seen with current layouts:
Can't find space to get a second reversing loop on ground level to easily turn trains back.
Sidings not very long.
Some reaches a little long.
No place to easily situate a vehicle crossing with lights.
Track joints not a perfect fit everywhere.

I'm looking for constructive criticism and advice from all of you more experienced people please.
Thanks in advance.