News:

Due to heavy spamming attempts on this forum, automatic registration has been disabled. We will approve registration requests as quickly as possible (unless you're a spammer of course :) )

Main Menu

plans saving as "file" format not "*any" format so anyrail won't open them

Started by toddster, December 10, 2020, 01:11:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toddster

any body else found that V6.35.1 is doing strange things when you try to save or export files

trying to save a trackplan now saves it as a file format instead of a *any format so that you can then no longer open it in anyrail. and if you try to export a trackplan as a jpeg you can no longer include any numerals in name or it won't save it.???

David

We did not make any changes to these functions.
I've just tested but I cannot reproduce the problem.

Did you make changes to your computer, or perhaps you use a virus scanner that disallows 'unknown' file extensions?
David Hoogvorst. Founder and Owner of DRail Software. Creator of AnyRail.

toddster

no fixed the problem.
 You just have to make sure that you don't save it in the folder you want to finally save it in - (save it in a special subfolder so you can find it) and don't have any numbers in your name of the file that you want to save it as.
 Then it will save as an any. file.
 Then you go back in to the subfolder and move the now saved file to the original folder that you want to finally keep it in and you can then add the numbers to the name of file and it will save it as a any. file.
I have multiple different versions of the same layout in different degrees of development and was trying to give the file a title like  -{  rosehaven 4.1.1  or rosehaven 4.2.0   } all saved in a general folder called Rosehaven.

magnus

You can/should not have . in a filename. Dot is a special character in most operating systems.

Windows will treat filename "rosehaven 4.1.1.any" as "rosehaven 4" of file type "1.1.any", and thus not recognize the application to start it with.

Name it something like rosehaven 4-1-1.any instead.

BadBanana

@magnus - actually, Windows only looks at the characters after the last dot - I just tried it, and both Windows and AnyRail work as expected. 

@toddster - I think your problem is being hidden by the fact that Windows does not display file extensions by default. (It's Microsoft trying to be "helpful".)  Note that in the image you posted, none of the files are showing that they are .any files.  What you need to do is modify the Explorer settings.  In Windows 10 (at least) Open an Explorer window.  Select View, and then select Options.  That pops up a window with three tabs; select the View tab.  A little way down is an item called "Hide extensions for known file types"  You want to make sure that is NOT ticked.  Then click on Apply.  That will change the setting for all future times that you look in Explorer so that you can always see the file extension whether the file has a unique icon or not, and it will help to avoid this kind of confusion.

Explorer options.png